Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Have never seen anything like that before. Maybe it's proprietary to Specialized, or the maker of the front derailleur? Then again, I don't have much experience with different brands of derailleurs other than Shimano.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
It sure does look like a simple solution......very cool looking...Is it just a bent piece of wire?
Dave,

We now have a new product to develop. Let's see.... $10 for stainless and $25 for titanium. How many can we sell?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I think it's an antenna designed to prevent aliens from attacking you when you're on the road. It does double duty as it can also be used as a device used to trip traffic light signals. They weigh 1.5 grams, are fully aerodynamic, and due to the traffic signal control are guaranteed to decrease your commuting time a minimum of 5 minutes, or your money back.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
For those of you that think it is a power meter from Polar, it must be extremely new because the ones I have seen attach to the drive side chainstay right under the chain and almost run the entire length of the chainstay. I'll have to check if Polar changed its design of its power meter.

For those of you laughing, I wish I had that contraption on my Cristallo last week when the chain came off and gouged my chainstay. It looks like it does the same thing as a Deda Dog Fang, but I cannot get the Dog Fang to work very easily on my Cristallo because of the oversized bottom bracket that goes up into the seattube where the dog fang would attach.

This piece of metal that attaches to the front derailleur hanger would be exactly what I need. I wish somebody on here had an answer to the OP's question, because I would buy 5 of them, and gladly pay $25 for the titanium ones and $10 for the steel ones. A cracked rear chainstay from chain suck would cost plenty more than that. It is going to cost me 15 times the cost of the make believe titanium one just to send my frame to Calfee to get the spot re-cleared, which requires the entire frame be scuffed and re-cleared.

To the OP, do you know where the pic is from? Any chance we could ask the owner of the bike?

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
What is going to be your plan of attack? Are you going to try to weld/braze a washer to the rod or are you going to try to flatten an end of the rod and drill a hole in it? Hell, I don't even know where to find a stainless steel rod like that, much less how to bend it so well. If you do accomplish the feat, give me some pointers.

I've gone through a couple of google searches to try and come up with it, but I haven't found squat.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
What rubber snail shape thingy? Are you talking about the Deda Dog Fang or 3rd Eye Chain Watcher?

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Great. So we have more pictures of this thing on different bikes, but not a single link to anywhere we can buy it. I cannot believe that somebody hasn't looked at these pictures yet and not decided to mass produce the item. I should see if it is patented, and if not, patent the design and make some money off of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.