Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
looks like a carbon-lugged construction to me.....in which case it is likely just a surface thing....watch it carefully and see if it changes at all

·
Registered
153 Posts
Keep an eye on it. I had the non-drive side dropout come unglued on a carbon frame. The only reason I knew it was that when I would climbing out of the saddle I could hear a clicking coming from somewhere. I road it several weeks before I finally took it into the shop. I also had a chainstay on an aluminum mountain bike break clean through during a race and contined on for another 1/2 hour before I figured out the problem.

The point being that even if it does break while riding you'll probably be fine, if you even notice.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
So I had a walking speed fall today, was not watching the person I was with and fell.
Onto the derailleur side and bent hanger but also noticed a small crack, should I be concerned? Is it a gel coat crack only?
Tap test: take a coin, metal screwdriver blade, etc. and tap the frame along the chainstay and past the crack. Checik it out from various angles and around the tube. If the sound doesn't change right at the crack then you just have paint cracking at the frame lug. If the sound changes (especially if it goes to a "dead thunk" sound) then you had better call Calfee for a frame repair quote.

·
Registered
469 Posts
your frame is painted , not gelcoated , and that looks like a glue joint between an alloy dropout and the carbon chainstay , The dropout probably inserts 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch so keep watch on it as you are unlikely to experience a rapid violent failure IMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.