Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of those guys that likes his bike to look nice and clean, heck I clean the bike after almost every ride.

This past Sunday (while cleaning the bike) I noticed the following dimples on the seat tube. At first I thought it was the lighting but after running my fingers over it I felt all this dimples on the seat tube towards the crank. The clear coat is intact and it does not feel like a paint chip or similar.

Seeing how this is my first carbon bike I wanted to ask if this is "normal"?? I'm not averse to normal wear and tear or chips on the bike due to riding it, but this struck me as a different issue. No other sections of the frame exhibit this so I am wondering if I need to replace this? or what?

View attachment 276840

View attachment 276841

View attachment 276842

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
I'm no expert and others might know different, but I had this on my Pinarello 3:13. It appeared to me to be nothing other than a less than perfect finish and certainly not a fault. My current Giant TCR SL is just this side of perfectly finished as well.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm no expert and others might know different, but I had this on my Pinarello 3:13. It appeared to me to be nothing other than a less than perfect finish and certainly not a fault.
Humm...so maybe this is indeed common?

How tight is that derailleur clamp?
Local Hero, I honestly couldn't say. I have never touched it since the bike was purchased. Are you suggesting it was over tighthen and this caused the seat tube to deform?

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I saw this exact same thing on the top tube of a friend's S-Works SL3. Also saw the same thing on another friend's Roubaix SL3.

Many of the generic Ebay Chinese carbon frames can also be seen with this sort of imperfections.

So I'd say it's normal for carbon bikes, or apparently normal. Not sure if the reason is in the imperfect finishing layer, or the imperfection is actually from the raw carbon tubes themselves.

Perhaps a carbon expert can chime in.

But I can say on my 2 Serottas, the carbon tubes are smooooth as a baby's butt!

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
It looks like a less that perfect finish in the outer layers, but nothing structural. Companies have been known to use Bondo putty to fill those, but it appears they didn't feel it was worth the time or expense.

p.s.

My custom titanium tubes are smooth as a baby's butt.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

hmmmmm.....dimples.

I saw this exact same thing on the top tube of a friend's S-Works SL3. Also saw the same thing on another friend's Roubaix SL3.

Many of the generic Ebay Chinese carbon frames can also be seen with this sort of imperfections.

So I'd say it's normal for carbon bikes, or apparently normal. Not sure if the reason is in the imperfect finishing layer, or the imperfection is actually from the raw carbon tubes themselves.

Perhaps a carbon expert can chime in.

But I can say on my 2 Serottas, the carbon tubes are smooooth as a baby's butt!
Well the fact that its not unique to my bike makes me fill a little better as it would appear to be a cosmetic issue. My bike is a Wilier XP Izoard, purchased new last summer, the frame was made in China. I guess my "Italian" bike is not free from manufacturing defects.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It's just minor finish imperfections that didn't get filled/sanded perfectly when the frame was finished and prepped for paint. Cervelos (I don't know what your bike is) are normally finished much worse. Cosmetic, not structural.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feeback everyone - the bike is a Wilier Izoard XP 2012 - it was purchased new last summer. If the issue is cosmetic I can live with that, I was just concerned it might be structural but it sounds like it's not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts