Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if it's ok to leave a carbon bike inside a car all day on a parking lot (no risk of being stolen involved) under the sun. Gets pretty hot inside! I've done it with my aluminium frame and go ride after work, but now I'm seeling that bike and the carbon bike will be my only ride.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOO! IT'S GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, this question comes up a lot. Don't worry about it. The glue holding it together and the carbon both will hold fine. Even the odds of your tires exploding are miniscule. I've heard it over and over about how they can, but no one has ever shown me the pieces to prove it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Even the odds of your tires exploding are miniscule. I've heard it over and over about how they can, but no one has ever shown me the pieces to prove it.
I've had this happen on several occasions and have never been able to find a legitimate cause. I don't buy the PSI argument. The increase isn't that great and I only keep my tires at around 100 (probably closer to 110 back then). Even a HIGHLY unlikely increase to 150 isn't going to pop the tires. My theory has more to do with the heat of the rim. A strip of metal under glass in the mid-summer sun can become extremely hot. My guess is that it gets hot enough to cause micro melts/punctures in the tube.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts
musicociclista said:
Hi, I was wondering if it's ok to leave a carbon bike inside a car all day on a parking lot (no risk of being stolen involved) under the sun. Gets pretty hot inside! I've done it with my aluminium frame and go ride after work, but now I'm seeling that bike and the carbon bike will be my only ride.
Of COURSE not. Else your bike will end up looking just like this one.

BTW-Ti can't take heat either.

PPS-Note how the wheels toasted-very typical of heat failure

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
I don't know why you would own a CF bike anyway. The frame will break for no reason, with no warning, and shoot carbon shards into your nether regions, which will require extensive surgery to remove. Think of the risk, man!!!!!!

Steel is the only proper material for any bike part.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I own a bunch of CF sports equip (little of it actually on a bike) and much of it thicker than bike tubes.

Like the earlier poster says, UV is the big enemy. Fortunately good, modern car glass shields a lot of it. Thankfully, not enough gets through to activate my sunglass lenses for example. I have to dangle them outside the window to make them go dark, and the effect doesn't last long once back inside, no matter how bright it is outside.

I hope the same is true of the back glass in the van. (So far so good) but my CF masts and boards have been stored in protective sleeves mostly. (They get UV exposure on the beach though.)

That said the news is not good for UV exposure and CF, [although I imagine there have to be some anti UV coatings in our gear, well I'd hope so]:

The degradation of an IM7/997 carbon fiber-reinforced epoxy exposed to ultraviolet radiation and/or condensation has been characterized. Based on observations of physical and chemical degradation it has been established that these environments operate in a synergistic manner that causes extensive erosion of the epoxy matrix, resulting in a reduction in mechanical properties. Matrix dominated properties are affected the most, with the transverse tensile strength decreasing by 29% after only 1000 h of cyclic exposure to UV radiation and condensation. While, the longitudinal fiber-dominated properties are not affected for the exposure durations investigated, it has been noted that extensive matrix erosion would ultimately limit effective load transfer to the reinforcing fibers and lead to the deterioration of mechanical properties even along the fiber dominated material direction.

Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 36, No. 24, 2713-2733 (2002)
DOI: 10.1177/002199802761675511
© 2002 SAGE Publications
Degradation of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Epoxy Composites by Ultraviolet Radiation and Condensation

Bhavesh G. Kumar
Department of Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA

Raman P. Singh

Department of Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794, [email protected]

Toshio Nakamura

Department of Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA

Key Words: carbon fiber-reinforced epoxy • environmental degradation • ultraviolet radiation • condensation • mechanical properties • tensile strength

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
musicociclista said:
DO NOT ,LISTEN TO THESE GUYS! THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!

I left my De Rosa in the back of my Land Rover for a couple of hours last summer while I took the ferry from Sardnia across the Med. It was partly cloudy when we landed and it only sat about 45 minutes in front of my apartment and it wasn't even that hot for Tripoli (I'm a foreigh correspondent for the API.)

Looked what happened! Brand new frickin' bike, ruined. You can see the bend in the top tube and how the stays got all flattened out. I took it back to the iLBS (Italian Local Bike Store) in Napoli and they wouldn't give me a warranty replacement because it wasn't a manufacturing defect. They said heat exposure was mentioned in the guarantee and that that is one of the reasons they don't like to sell to people in the Northern Sahara. Hell, like I read the fine print, in Italian no less. LOL

They called the factory and Ugo himself told them it was fine. That stuff is pretty durable and it should be okay. I've ridden it a bunch and it feels fine, but I have to admit it scares me sometimes. And I don't like the damn Bedouin laughing at me either.

Don't make the same mistake I made. okay?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The bedouin laughed? Bike looks more like a camel now than when it was new. Although I realize that can't be all that funny if you are on the receiving end.

I'll admit I have a lot of old CF gear (mostly covered) in the back of the van semi permanently for 10 years, but my good bike with the CF fork and stays only goes in there for trips, no all-work-day long hot stays. The steel bike usually gets the hot van duty.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.