Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TCR Carbon involved in accident with car. First inspection looked fine .On impact , front wheel hit , then turned 90 degress . Fork / head tube took most of the hit. Noticed crack along Top Tube about mid - point . www.giantbicycles.com suggest the frameset should be replaced , since lifetime warranty is now void . I don' t want to be riding and have a catastophic breakage . Any one out there can share similar experiences ?? THANKS

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its probably busted. The basic carbon crack test is to flick the frame around the area and see if there are any differences in how it sounds. compare to clean parts of the frame. Use a quarter to tap the frame and listen.

You can SEE the crack, you have to replace it. Riding on a cracked carbon frame is a worse idea than riding without a helmet.

Sorry for the bad luck m8 :(

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
82 Posts
I agree with Peith. If you have any concerns about the integrity of the frame, it should go bach to Giant so they can check for damage.

Was it the car/driver's fault? If so, their insurance should cover it. Make sure you file a police report. If they are uninsured, it might be worth a call to your insurance agent to see if it would be covered under any policies you have, minus the deductible.

Hope you're OK,

Tom

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
just read on another forum, or was it another thread here, that giant has a crash replacement policy. why not contact them to check?

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you end up having to junk this frame I will buy it off you for $50 and shipping if it is around 60cm in size.

Obviously, if you can get a replacement or some deal by turning the frame in I would do that, but if you are faced with throwing the frame away I would take it and fix it for myself.

Also, you may be able to send the frame to Calfee and have them fix it. The price from Calfee fixed and repainted in the area of the crack is usually about $400. If you do go that route, make sure to check the entire bike over to verify that is the only problem.

Carbon frames really are not that hard to fix, I posted how to do it on the 'Would you ride this frame' thread. You could easily do it yourself and have it be strong with only 2 oz of weight gain. The question is whether or not you want to tackle a project like this. If you fix it correctly it WILL be stronger then it was initially (so long as you are covering the broken area, using enough material, and there are not other areas that are broken), but regardless some people will forever be worried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts