Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A teammate of mine is looking to build up a lightweight climbing bike starting with a carbon frame. This will be his No. 2 race bike, so he doesn't want to spend much money. But he'd like to buy new (rather than used) so he at least gets some warranty.

I told him that Leader and Pedal Force have frames in the $700 range. Who else? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
One word of caution: do NOT buy a frame without knowing all the geometry numbers. The frameset pictured above looks remarkably like one sold here in Oz, and that has a *very* short top tube, short enough to be a problem for lots of people.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,627 Posts
Token, Fetish to name two. I've got a Token white carbon that I paid $1400 for the complete bike with a mix of Ultegra and Dura Ace. Fetish has their Black Soul frame on sale right now for $800. Both can be found on Ebay from time to time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
satanas said:
One word of caution: do NOT buy a frame without knowing all the geometry numbers. The frameset pictured above looks remarkably like one sold here in Oz, and that has a *very* short top tube, short enough to be a problem for lots of people.
The frame above is Medium and I compared it to my 06 Scott S20 size 54 and they are almost the same the frame above is kind a longer. suits me fine.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,627 Posts
I have an alu Fetish SS mtb bike and it's fine. Welds aren't smoothed, but they are good, nonetheless, and the bike has ridden like a champ for two years. My Token is made well. It's tube with lugs, not mono construction. The current Token offerings are tube also and they offer lugged and lugless layups. I believe the Fetish Black Soul is also a tubed lugless layup. Since the tubes are manufactured by only a handful of companies you get a pretty standard product of uniform quality. Lug bonding and lugless layup (as well as tube selection) is the part that is controlled by the also small handful of companies that actually make these frames. Fetish or Token may and probably do specify some of the specs. It's usually a cooperative effort between the factory and the brand. I don't have any worries that these frames are very rideable and will hold up well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,932 Posts
cxwrench said:
hmmm...i'll bet those "bargain" carbon frames are made really well and use quality materials...
Yeah- they can't compare to a frame like Cervelo, or Colnago. All Colnago frames are handmade from start to finish in Italy- not by some big company like ADK. I know b/c the sticker on the downtube says "Made in Italy".

Oh, and did you know the Cervelo uses computers and wind tunnels to make their frame's faster? Those guys are "Brilliant"!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
cxwrench said:
hmmm...i'll bet those "bargain" carbon frames are made really well and use quality materials...
Then you are clueless!

Well maybe not. If it's from one of the Big 3 or 4 CF factories in Taiwan that make all most all of the CF bikes you see, then they are all the same quality wise. Some of the frames are the same exact frames that the bigger companies use. Now some smaller dealers will tweak the design slightly so they can sell them under their brand which can affect the way the bike rides. Or the bigger guys like Specialized have exclusive right to their frames build, geo, lay-up of CF, etc.

Now ther are a few Chinese CF frames showing up which are complete garbage. These are very rare. Most the smaller CF branded stuff you see on ebay and small web retailers are the same quality Taiwanese stuff that eve4ryone is re-branding.

Litespeed got busted a few years ago for selling a $500 CF frame with their paint for $200 or so. Once word got out that it was a Topkey frame from Taiwan (Those Pedal Force frames), the sales died and it was killed off. Not that LS wanted to "stick with Ti.

Bianchi, Wiler, MASI and other "Italian" frames are all from Taiwan. If they are painted in Italy and "finished, then the Italian government and the EU allow the "Made in Italy" sticker.

Unless its a TREK, GIANT, Colnago, Parlee, Crumpton, SCOTT, Cervelo among a few others, it's made in Taiwan by the few large factories and if you look and try can get the SAME frame for under $1000 easily.

Similar with many of the CF wheels out there right now. All rebadged Gigantex Wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
Kestreljr said:
Yeah- they can't compare to a frame like Cervelo, or Colnago. All Colnago frames are handmade from start to finish in Italy- not by some big company like ADK. I know b/c the sticker on the downtube says "Made in Italy".

Oh, and did you know the Cervelo uses computers and wind tunnels to make their frame's faster? Those guys are "Brilliant"!!
Joking right?

You do know that cervelo are made in CHINA, right? Not Taiwan, mainland China. Same factory as SCOTT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just sold a Taiwan-made Colnago CLX on eBay. In all fairness, the frame was beautifully made, and featured a little metal oval on the bottom of the downtube that read "Made in Taiwan."

But to your point, I purchased it last year, put about 750 miles on it and just sold it for more than I paid for it. It's amazing what the Colnago name is still worth.

Kestreljr said:
Yeah- they can't compare to a frame like Cervelo, or Colnago. All Colnago frames are handmade from start to finish in Italy- not by some big company like ADK. I know b/c the sticker on the downtube says "Made in Italy".

Oh, and did you know the Cervelo uses computers and wind tunnels to make their frame's faster? Those guys are "Brilliant"!!
 

·
Embrace your inner Fred
Joined
·
359 Posts
bigbill said:
A little above the price point, but I have seen these frames up close and they are nice.

www.seiglersports.com

Anymore info on these guys? Im narrowing my choices for my frame upgrade next year or two depending on my progress. They have XL frames as there size unit and Im assuming it can fit my 6'6" build. I sent them an email. Full tt bike for 2500k so frame should be reasonable. Ive got a dura ace bike so if the frame is reasonable Ill just hang my components on it. Seems pretty good deal if frames are tried and true. They say high modulus and it looks great. really like there SCTT bike.
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,451 Posts
Lazyrider said:
Not mine, a friend's but I wouldn't mind having one. Under 16lbs complete on my hanging scale.
I'm wrapping up a detailed Pedal Force RS2 pro-review for RBR shortly. Looking forward to being to add to this conversation, but until the review goes live, I'll just have to suggest you stay tuned...
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
Snakebitten said:
Anymore info on these guys? Im narrowing my choices for my frame upgrade next year or two depending on my progress. They have XL frames as there size unit and Im assuming it can fit my 6'6" build. I sent them an email. Full tt bike for 2500k so frame should be reasonable. Ive got a dura ace bike so if the frame is reasonable Ill just hang my components on it. Seems pretty good deal if frames are tried and true. They say high modulus and it looks great. really like there SCTT bike.

I ride with a lady that has a Siegler, and it's a nice looking bike. It looks expensive. I had always meant to ask where she found it, now I know. Unfortunately that's all I can offer as I've never actually ridden one.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top