Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SLK carbon handlebar attached to a thompson stem. When I am seated, there is no noise but when I stand and either lean on the bar or pull, there is quite a bit of popping and squeaking noises. A nuisance on an otherwise very quiet ride , The stem is torqued to suggested number. Any ideas to get rid of the noise?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
My thomson squeaks with my aluminum bars...

I have an X2 with EA70 Wing OS on them. Unscrew your stem, and tighten the top screw face more than the bottom. That fixed most of my problem.

The top should be basically flush while the bottom with a small gap. I used to have them "even" but that was squeeky for my 135 lbs.

It's really in the stem's design, I'm still wondering what the hell went wrong there.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Carbon spacers on your steerer tube? Those often cause lots of 'carbon creak noises'. If CleavesF suggestion doesn't work and you do have carbon spacers, replace them with aluminum spacers and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
suggestion...

The exact source of creaks in this area is not easy to find. It could be the bar/stem interface, the stem/steerer clamp or the spacers.

There is no need to ditch carbon spacers if they are the source of the creaks. They can be lightly greased, just the same as aluminum.

I would try carbon assembly paste, except for the spacers, where a tiny bit of grease won't hurt a thing.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2848-00'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts