Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
do they make a plastic bar reinfoced with carbon fibers in a 46cm width like the bontrager Race bar??? ;)

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
A structurally sound carbon bar is as strong as heck. The problem is that there is no way to know if it is structurally sound once a bike has been crashed.

I had a CF bar on my MTB which was great until I crashed and gouged it on a rock. I replaced it right away (with a much cheaper Al version from the same manufacturer). I then set out to see how much it would take to break the bar. Turns out -- a lot. Slamming against the edge of a steel ladder affixed to a concrete wall was what finally did it, IIRC. Even then it didn't shatter or snap. The resin pulverized leaving just the CF cloth, which I was able to tear. Maybe I could have kept riding it, but there was no way to know and I wasn't going to take the chance.

Al is not really any stronger or more damage resistant, but much cheaper to replace if the integrity is at all questionable.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Versus carbon, ceteris paribus, aluminum will bend before it fails except for extreme crash situations. Steel and ti will have catastrophic failures as well, but I was addressing the more common accidents, not catastrophic that would cause any material to fail.

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
An old set of soft Cinelli bars would bend before they broke. These new fangled wicked stiff bars on the market now? They're probably more prone to catastrophic failure than Carbon bars...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.