Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was cleaning my LOOK 675 the other day and spotted a hairline crack on the BB area (near the downtube/bb intersection). I could sorta feel the crack with my fingernail but its shallow. How do I tell if it's a paint or carbon crack. I appreciate your advice. (pics included)

Electric blue Writing implement Stationery Office supplies Electric blue Cobalt blue Writing implement Paint Stationery

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
I was cleaning my LOOK 675 the other day and spotted a hairline crack on the BB area (near the downtube/bb intersection). I could sorta feel the crack with my fingernail but its shallow. How do I tell if it's a paint or carbon crack. I appreciate your advice. (pics included
Looks like a paint crack, but the best way to check is to tap the frame with something metal (like a coin or screwdriver blade) and listen for a change in the sound as you move over the "crack." Now that you know how long the "crack" is, watch whether it grows. If the frame is cracking then the gap would possibly grow in width as it lengthens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried the coin tapping method, and didn't notice any abnormal sound. Is there a possibility that a paint crack will grow?

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
I've tried the coin tapping method, and didn't notice any abnormal sound. Is there a possibility that a paint crack will grow?
I do believe a paint crack can grow. Visually, it looks like a paint crack. The tap test sounds like it should be ok, but the only real way to know is to strip all the paint off to have a look or X Ray the frame.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Here's a method which worked for me.

Place a piece of invisible Scotch Tape over the crack.

Find an opening in the frame that will allow you to squirt a good shot of a colored fluid such as Liquid Wrench, into the area on the inside of the tube.

Position the frame such that the crack faces the ground and the liquid can "puddle" in the area of the crack. Let it sit for an hour.

When done, inspect the Scotch Tape. If it's a crack in the tube, the fluid will bleed through and stick to the tape.

Here's the tape from my frame's headtube, where I suspected a crack.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's a method which worked for me.

Place a piece of invisible Scotch Tape over the crack.

Find an opening in the frame that will allow you to squirt a good shot of a colored fluid such as Liquid Wrench, into the area on the inside of the tube.

Position the frame such that the crack faces the ground and the liquid can "puddle" in the area of the crack. Let it sit for an hour.

When done, inspect the Scotch Tape. If it's a crack in the tube, the fluid will bleed through and stick to the tape.

Here's the tape from my frame's headtube, where I suspected a crack.
that's actually a ingenious method. thanks for the tip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts