Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled my campy record carbon post out of my Caad 7 to ship it and the inserted section was covered with a white, chalky, dusty substance. I really had to work to get the post out too. Any recommendations for whether I should be using grease on the post or some other substance or keep it dry? Thanks.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
There was a long thread around about how you shouldn't use any grease at all with a carbon seatpost, but the search function doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,778 Posts
No grease

I researched this in the past as well. I seem to remember a Zinn article on Velonews.com. Most greases can apparently break down the resin. The recommendation was to just periodically loosen the binder and give the seat a llittle twist back and forth.

You can try searching further back in the archives you have to tweak the time frame at the bottom of the web page.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The other reason not to was that--to achieve adequate torque to keep a greased CF seatpost from slipping--you risk crushing the post.

Expensive move. Don't recommend it.

Clean the inside of your seat tube, and your post, thoroughly (simple green or whatever), then insert and torque the bolt ... no grease.

·
Registered
985 Posts
hfc said:
I researched this in the past as well. I seem to remember a Zinn article on Velonews.com. Most greases can apparently break down the resin. The recommendation was to just periodically loosen the binder and give the seat a llittle twist back and forth.

You can try searching further back in the archives you have to tweak the time frame at the bottom of the web page.
This issue was massively discussed and final conclusion was that "greas breaking down resin" is outright myth. As Creig (have I written name properly:confused: ) Calfee stated "the only commomly used substance that may damage resin is paint remover (but not paint thinner)".

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Yep, grease will not hurt carbon.
My Spinergys have held up fine, oil from drivetrain gets all over.
Same with my Record derailleurs and carbon chainstays.
What else?

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
The answer

ridewt said:
Pulled my campy record carbon post out of my Caad 7 to ship it and the inserted section was covered with a white, chalky, dusty substance. I really had to work to get the post out too. Any recommendations for whether I should be using grease on the post or some other substance or keep it dry?
The white powder was almost certainly aluminum oxide - from your frame oxidizing. It's the Al version of rust. You have two choices: 1) frequently remove your CF post, wiping all parts (including inside the frame) so that you can remove the oxide and make it possible to remove your post when you want to, and 2) lube the post.

As others have noted, grease will not harm the CF post. If you are worried about it, you can always use a silicone grease. The reason not to lube a CF post is to prevent it from slipping, not to protect it from attack by the lube. If your post doesn't slip with lube on it, then grease will prevent the oxidation of your frame.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ridewt said:
Pulled my campy record carbon post out of my Caad 7 to ship it and the inserted section was covered with a white, chalky, dusty substance. I really had to work to get the post out too. Any recommendations for whether I should be using grease on the post or some other substance or keep it dry? Thanks.
Just grease it already!!! I was told not to with my Record carbon seatpost in my 2000 Litespeed Palmares, but I did anyhow. It's 2006 and several thousand miles and the seatpost is just fine, thank you!! One light coat did the trick.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tacx paste

And if you're still worried about grease then use the carbon assembly paste Tacx and Syntace sell. Won't hurt carbon and has particles to keep things from slipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts