Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some Aeolus3 D3 rims with Swiss Stop Black Prince brake pads (approved in all conditions except mud by Bontrager).

Do I risk excessive wear on the brake tracks by using the wheels in the rain?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
well usually when the road is wet, the dirt and sand grain will get onto your brake pads and yes these dirt grains may, most likely, act like sandpaper on your carbon rims. Same goes with aluminum rims too. I never ride my carbon rims when the road is wet. In fact, I don't ride when its wet. If you ride wet a lot, then either get a beater bike or get disc (because replacing disc brake pads and even the disc rotors are cheaper then replacing your Aeolus D3 wheelset).

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Carbon rims are well known for melting in the rain.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Shux, why worry about brake wear on carbon rims, they'll probably be outdated before they're wore out and need up grading anyway.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I ride a decent amount in the rain, because the alternative is not riding on a lot of days during our relatively short riding season.

I generally try not to ride my carbon wheels on rain rides. First, the braking is significantly worse than aluminum wheels in the rain. Second, the grit that gets in the pads does wear down the brake tracks. With carbon clinchers, I'm not crazy about excessive wear near the tire mounting point.

However, I do occasionally ride them in the rain, either on training rides where I get caught by the weather or in races. It happens. I try to clean them up as much as I can afterwards (to include the brake pads).

Then again, I have multiple bikes, so I'm not constantly changing brake pads between carbon and aluminum-specific pads. When it's wet my ti bike is an all-around better choice (cleans up so much easier, easier to mount fenders) and when it's dry my carbon bikes are ready to go for more performance-oriented riding.

So the real answer is- buy more bikes.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Any type rim wears faster in wet, dirty conditions. Brake pads, too. I've gone through a new set of brake pads in one 75min, pouring rain crit before. Bleh.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Yes.

If you live in, for example, Florida where it's flat so not much heavy braking and no winter sand in the roads, I wouldn't worry about it. A place like Vermont on the other hand I would worry about it.

Not being able to stop in time can also cause damage. There's there's that aspect of using carbon rims in the rain also.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Oddly enough this should be in the 'wheels/tire' section, not GD.

I wouldn't worry about this as much as some of the other posters. I've found that modern carbon rims don't wear anywhere near as quickly as alloy or some older carbon rims. Use the recommended pads and especially w/ Bontrager, Zipp, and Enve, you should find the braking isn't that bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts