Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pair of Shimano 151 carbon shoes that I just got and used once. The heel has no rubber insert to cover the carbon heel. It seems to have gotten a little torn up from the road. I was worried the carbon heel would wear through on the shoe very quickly without something to protect the heel.

The cleat can be replaced if it gets worn out, but not the heel of a $170 pair of shoes. Any suggestions to protect the heel. Maybe a small rubber bumper type of thing? Or am I worrying for no reason?

Thanks for any ideas!
Doug

· Registered
635 Posts
some sort of traction adhesive should do the trick.

if you live in an area that has boating, go to a marine supply store and talk to them about what u need, a small piece of grip tape that is commonly applied to the sides of small sailboats should do the trick.

otherwise, go to a hardware store and talk to them, i think a small piece of adhesive that has traction to it should help you out.

basically i think a tape that has traction and is fairly thick/absorbant should stop the wear on the soles, although you may need to replace the tape every so often as it wears down.

· Registered
9 Posts
It works for me!

Shoe Goo.

I've been using it on my road shoe heals for quite some time, and, except for the need to re-apply it once or twice a year, it works great. I've got a small blob on the heals of my Nike Poggio carbon shoes, and it's prevented any wear at all to the carbon at the heal.

You can get Shoe Goo at just about any sporting good shop, Target, Home Depot (though there may be a different name in front of the "Goo"... Don't worry, it's the same stuff).

Only bummer is that it takes a night to let it dry... And it's pretty potent smelling glue, so use it in a very well ventilated room or garage.

Bob

· Registered
9 Posts
Keep it simple

Meathead,

Shoe Goo is the made for this type of thing. Initially, it was hyped as a way to rebuild worn soles on running shoes. It's super tough, somewhat easy to work with, and sticks to almost anything. The one thing I failed to mention before is to clean the area before applying the glue. I use rubbing alcohol, which I let completely evaporate before using the Goo. You can use a popsicle stick, or other tool (a flat-head screwdriver works well) to smoothen, and thin, out the glue. Leave it over night, and you're good to go. I even applied a little blob to the front of the sole to protect that as well.

Bob

· Registered
175 Posts
You don't need to do anything

I have the 151's also. Unless you are talking about a defective shoe, there IS a rubber insert on the heel. For some odd reason, shimano clear coated the insert when they clear coated the carbon sole. It makes it look like the insert is part of the carbon. The clear coat will wear off of the insert with use, but the insert will last a while. I've had mine for a year now and have to walk about 50 feet on concrete each time I ride my bike to and from my house. The inserts on mine still has plenty of wear left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.