Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a runner who recently took up road biking. I have about 500 miles on by bike and I happy with it. I ride about 15 miles to 40 miles in Connecticut. I guess the Roubaix weighs about 19 pounds. I ride with 3 or 4 other people. I can ride about 20 mph depending on the course some times I average 17 mph on a course with hills however my bike handling skills need improvement.

My questin is... Are frames made by litespeed, orbea , cervelo? Is a 4000 bike worth the money. Most people who I see riding or ride with own $4000 to $7000 road bikes. Will I notice the difference if I purchase a 17 pound bike. I thought about purchasing new wheels for the Roubaix but the owner of the cycling discourged me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
sheps58 said:
I am a runner who recently took up road biking. I have about 500 miles on by bike and I happy with it. I ride about 15 miles to 40 miles in Connecticut. I guess the Roubaix weighs about 19 pounds. I ride with 3 or 4 other people. I can ride about 20 mph depending on the course some times I average 17 mph on a course with hills however my bike handling skills need improvement.

My questin is... Are frames made by litespeed, orbea , cervelo? Is a 4000 bike worth the money. Most people who I see riding or ride with own $4000 to $7000 road bikes. Will I notice the difference if I purchase a 17 pound bike. I thought about purchasing new wheels for the Roubaix but the owner of the cycling discourged me.
As for a 2 lbs difference, how heavy are you? If you have excess weight at all, for the most part that will be the same as taking 2 lbs out of your bike. It's a lot cheaper to drop two lbs than to buy a high end bike, with about the same benefit. The exception is lighter wheels, because of rotational weight, but it's a relatively minor effect.

It's like everything else-diminishing marginal returns. You have to spend more to get an ever smaller improvement. I just picked up a Roubaix Comp, pretty similar to your bike, and I'm loving it. Great bikes.

You just picked up a very nice bike-enjoy it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts