Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how carbon saddles are working out for people???? Other than the weight factor as a positive...they don't look very comfortable to me??

Curious Minds Want To Know!!! :cool:

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
SaxyBiker said:
I am curious how carbon saddles are working out for people???? Other than the weight factor as a positive...they don't look very comfortable to me??

Curious Minds Want To Know!!! :cool:
Shape matters a whole lot more than amount of padding. The most comfortable saddle I ever rode was a Selle Italia Storika, with no padding on it other than the give in the saddle. I've ridden carbon saddles that I really, really liked.

If anything, on a long ride, a carbon saddle may be MORE comfortable for some people. The less padding I have, the happier I tend to be.

The big catch to carbon saddles? They aren't built to last. The carbon rails, carbon shell, etc, all are very light and fragile, and saddles will often last 2 seasons MAX. That is what keeps me off a carbon saddle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a carbon saddle on one of my bikes and I'm generally pleased with it. My non-carbon SSM with titanium rails is more comfortable than my carbon saddle though. I personally feel like the padding makes more of a difference. In my case the less padding the better.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
At this point in the season especially if the shape is right the padding is irrelevant.

Only issue I have had with carbon saddles is the wear that some can cause to your shorts. If the edges are not fully rounded then they can wear holes very quickly where the thighs rub on the saddle.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If it fits there's nothing better. The only time I've ever missed padding in more than 6 years on a sub 80g AX Lightness Endurance was on some rutted gravel fire roads out in the national forest.

Have fewer saddle sores too. Shorts slide over the bare carbon instead of me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have to admit I have used non-padded carbon saddles in the past. As estone 2 said,
shape is more important than padding. I found the primary benefit is the smooth surface
does not allow 'binding', i.e., things slide smoothly. Conversly, the disadvantage is that
the smooth surface does not allow binding, and chafing can happen. Currently using
the 135 gram Selle Italia SLR, shape is great and padding is just enough, no more.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have a silver carbon Apside that I used on a few bikes and for a time. I found that on short rides of less than 40 miles it was fine but on longer rides a bit of padding is nice, e.g. SLR or new Flite.

Mine has titanium rails and IMO, it is built to last forever not a few seasons as posted above. Mine looks as good today as it did new, where I will wear out a padded in 2 seasons or so.

BTW, if your interested I sell you mine for $100.00. I think they listed for $275 or so and if you don't like it you could sell it for what you have instead of losing $. Let me know and I'll send you pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts