Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good degreaser - specifically for on-bike chain cleaning - for use on a carbon bike? I used Pedro's OrangePeelz on my previous AL bikes and was just cautious not to get the solvent on the chain stays, resting easy that if I did splash a little onto the frame that it wasn't going to do more than cloud the finish. Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Slowpoke
73 Posts
Try 'Finish Line' EcoTech 2 Degreaser . I've been using this and their original version degreaser on my carbon frames, chains & cogsets for over 7 years with no problems.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Almost anything

golzy said:
Can anyone recommend a good degreaser - specifically for on-bike chain cleaning - for use on a carbon bike? I used Pedro's OrangePeelz on my previous AL bikes and was just cautious not to get the solvent on the chain stays, resting easy that if I did splash a little onto the frame that it wasn't going to do more than cloud the finish. Any thoughts or recommendations?
I think people worry about this way too much. It's not like you're soaking the parts overnight in the stuff, so just the exposure time to clean the part is not going to have any effect. Think about it - Campy makes derailleurs out of CF, and they are covered with grease and oil most of the time. No worries.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I think people worry about this way too much. It's not like you're soaking the parts overnight in the stuff, so just the exposure time to clean the part is not going to have any effect. Think about it - Campy makes derailleurs out of CF, and they are covered with grease and oil most of the time. No worries.
Spot on.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Another tip........

for making your cleanup, well....um, cleaner.

Take a shop rag, pour a reasonable ammount of the degreaser of your choice on it,
now with the rag in hand, grab the chain and spin the cranks backwards and go to town scrubin' your chain link by link.
For cogs, drop the wheel out of the frame, prop it up over a trash can and use the same rag with degreaser on it and floss those cogs one by one! :)

Those Park or Pedro's stiff-bristle brushes do work well for pre-cleaning cogs and chainrings btw. Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
mineral spirits...

Mineral spirits (paint thinner) is cheap and harmless. I use it for all chain cleaning and all general degreasing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts