Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, is there any problem with using a carbon seat post on a Ritchey break-away? In other words, does the frame design subject the seat post to unusual stress?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've been using the Ritchey Pro Carbon 2-bolt (which is a hybrid post with aluminum pressed/bonded with carbon) and it seems fine. Probably not the answer you're looking for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've seen this question answered elsewhere, maybe in Ritchey Dave's thread?
It is fine, though I'm not sure that there is a good reason to run a carbon post (or stem or bars) on a bike that's going to get thrown around by baggage handlers.

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts
Cover the seat post with a sleeve and secure it in the BreakAway box. It's not a problem. For that matter, the BreakAways all come with carbon forks and the back end of the Ti road version is carbon. I don't see the point to your comment.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, carbon parts are designed to take specific loads applied in specific directions. I remember reading this column:

Technical FAQ: Yes, I still race cyclocross on carbon bars - VeloNews.com

Carbon bars are very strong when loaded in the manner expected during riding but do not stand up to strong side impacts, apparently. I'm sure that lots of people travel with carbon seat posts, bars, and stems but to me it just seems safer to fit a travel bike with stronger components.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hi, is there any problem with using a carbon seat post on a Ritchey break-away? In other words, does the frame design subject the seat post to unusual stress?
I used it for many flights with my breakaway, no problem. Usually my seat post is packed in a way that is difficult to damage from outside. I wouldn't use carbon handlebars or wheels or other components though.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I used it for many flights with my breakaway, no problem. Usually my seat post is packed in a way that is difficult to damage from outside. I wouldn't use carbon handlebars or wheels or other components though.
Indeed, I traveled with my Breakaway and Enve 3.4 wheelset recently but I wouldn't make a habit of it - the wider wheels significantly change the packing, in addition to forcing me to use more material to protect them, for fear of damage.

·
Ritchey Design Rep
640 Posts
You can use a carbon seatpost with a Ritchey Breakaway frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts