Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to make sure that your seat post isn't moving? I have a crabon seat post and and the other day the bike didn't feel right and measured the height seat post height and compared it to what it is suppsoe to be and it was 1.5 cm lower. The clamp was tight and shouldn't have moved but it did. I moved it back and retighten it. Is this something that I am going have watch everyday to make its right.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Clean the inside of the seat tube and the post. Degrease all with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Your clamp is not tight enough. If getting it tight enough is a problem, buy a carbon specific model (Campagnolo, other knock offs) and face it away from the keyway in the clamp area of the seat tube.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Spunout said:
Clean the inside of the seat tube and the post. Degrease all with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Your clamp is not tight enough. If getting it tight enough is a problem, buy a carbon specific model (Campagnolo, other knock offs) and face it away from the keyway in the clamp area of the seat tube.
+1

And also you can apply a thin coat of clear and roughen it up with a rough sand paper. You can actually fit 26.8mm seatpost to a 27.2mm seattube this way.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Another trick

If cleaning everything doesn't work, a shot of hair spray on the post and inside the seat tube will almost always give enough extra stick to prevent movement. A piece of electrical tape on the seat post right on top of the seat post clamp will show you quickly if things are moving.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a Supergo knockoff of the Campy offset seatpost clamp and still notice slight slippage using the electrical tape. What will moving the clamp 180* opposite the slot do differently than having it lined up? I notice on Specialized bicycles, they are positioning the clamp 180* opposite the slot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hair spray has worked for me...

i had a problem with two different frames. on the one frame, i went through about 4 different carbon seat posts and a half dozen clamps and could never get the post to stop slipping. then, i tried the hair spray trick - with a clamp i'd had problems with - and voila, no more slippage.
built a bike this spring. the carbon post slipped on my first ride. used a bit of hair spray, and i've been riding it for about 6 weeks now without a problem.
i guess its just sticky stuff. whatever...it works!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.