Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys think? Anyone using them on their cross bike? How about the alpha q prolite?

·
Registered
635 Posts
g-land said:
So what do you guys think? Anyone using them on their cross bike? How about the alpha q prolite?
I've been using a FSA SLK for the last two seasons with no problems. A friend of mine actually snapped his Alpha Q in a race last season. However, If I was building up a new bike or needed a new post, I probably wouldnt go with carbon again. As for ride quality, i dont notice a difference between the carbon & my Dura Ace alum on my B bike.

DP

·
Registered
462 Posts
I run the Bontrager carbon on one and the Ritchey Pro Alum on my other bike. I can't tell a difference between the 2.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
DPCX said:
I've been using a FSA SLK for the last two seasons with no problems. A friend of mine actually snapped his Alpha Q in a race last season. However, If I was building up a new bike or needed a new post, I probably wouldnt go with carbon again. As for ride quality, i dont notice a difference between the carbon & my Dura Ace alum on my B bike.

DP
The venerable Dura Ace aluminum seatpost, light, beautiful, pretty reliable (the head sometimes comes un-glued, can make noise, easily warrentee-able) and NJS kierin certified. My all time fave.

·
Registered
635 Posts
wunlap togo said:
The venerable Dura Ace aluminum seatpost, light, beautiful, pretty reliable (the head sometimes comes un-glued, can make noise, easily warrentee-able) and NJS kierin certified. My all time fave.
Oh yeah! I think i purchased this post back in 98' & its seen.........six different frames. The frames/bikes might come & go but the post is never included. I have one of the silent ones too. Bonus. :)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I've seen too many CF posts break

to want to use one in cx. remember a seatpost in cx is exposed to more weird loads (mounting, specially sloppy, oxygend deprived mounts) and reliability should take a seat over weight savings. are the extra few grams worth having the seat bust off mid race? at best you finish,laprace having to stand. at worst you get a nasty wound. So is it worth it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
atpjunkie said:
to want to use one in cx. remember a seatpost in cx is exposed to more weird loads (mounting, specially sloppy, oxygend deprived mounts) and reliability should take a seat over weight savings. are the extra few grams worth having the seat bust off mid race? at best you finish,laprace having to stand. at worst you get a nasty wound. So is it worth it?
I agree. I started the season on a Campy CF seatpost. It was used on a road bike and I thought it would dampen some of the rough stuff. At the first race of the season, I saw a guy whose carbon seatpost came unbonded with the aluminum clamp. The seat was moving around quite a bit and there is no way he could have used it.

I strictly use a two clamp aluminum post now. I have a Bontrager on one bike and on my still to be built second bike, I will use a Thomson that I have. As far as the carbon being a bit more comfortable, well, I never found that to be the case.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you must spend a fortune on something to keep your seat in place, make it Ti. Moots posts may be hard to setup, but really offer great comfort. Weight's nothing to complain about either.
But really, you like the carbon for the looks, right? :)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
of all the places to shave a few grams

I think I'd choose places where the 'trip to the ER factor' (seatpost, handlebars) is a tad lower.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just get a Thomson...

Honestly, I don't know why anybody would pay more for a CF post than for a Thomson. Thomson is solid, light and just functions well.

Mike

·
Two wheeled & too big
63 Posts
Do you want to look at, ride, or weigh it

g-land said:
If you want to actually ride the bike hard, crash occasionally and never worry about your post get a Thomson or Dura-Ace. If you are more concerned about how it looks or how little you can make your bike weigh then carbon may be for you. I have carbon on my roadie, but mtbs and cross bikes get metal. A buddy of mine had a relatively minor crash on his new bike and broke the bontrager carbon post right in half. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
At the So Cal cross race on Nov 20th, the guy riding in second position snapped off his Easton carbon post and had to ride the last few laps standing up with a jagged carbon harpoon aimed at his nuts. He still managed to finish in 2nd place and not get hurt, but do you really want to gamble with the family jewels like that? :p

Get a Thomson, or if you want something fancy get a Moots. They don't weigh any more than a typical carbon post, and are a LOT safer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
-Anomie- said:
At the So Cal cross race on Nov 20th, the guy riding in second position snapped off his Easton carbon post and had to ride the last few laps standing up with a jagged carbon harpoon aimed at his nuts. He still managed to finish in 2nd place and not get hurt, but do you really want to gamble with the family jewels like that? :p

OUCH!...that must have sucked trying to mount the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts