Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice. I am building a custom Steel Crown Jewel with Independent Fabrications. I am definitely getting a carbon fork, but wonder about the performance difference of going with the carbon seat stay options. Weight loss is minimal, but will there be a performance difference? Any thoughts:confused:

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
Who cares what it does to the ride... it looks freekin' cool.:p
I imagine it will stiffen up the rear end a little.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
have had 4 steel no carbon, one steel with carbon

2 of the steel are custum (kelly, waterford--both S3 tubing)
1 binachi boron xl--like EOM 16.5
1 pinarello opera 16.5 with the carbon stays

no advantage at all to carbon rear end on these bikes from my time in the saddle--not stiffer, not lighter--if anything i disliked it for the look of the carbon steel junction--and pinarello did a good job with it.

so that is only one bike, but it was a nice one, i think carbon can help a harsher aluminum frame--but steel?
if you are going to put carbon at both ends--why bother having steel in the middle?

jim

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
First, nice choice on the IF

Second, save your money and 86 the carbon stays, purely aesthetic. Especially on a Steel Frame. I have a steel Planet X and it is one sweet riding bike. This is just my opinion and the board is full of them, no performance gain, no ride quality gain. We're talking Bling factor, and I personally always go for the "Bling" factor. So if you dig it, and got the dosh to spend the extra scrill, go for it. Also Talk to Matt Bracken, he'll take your call, or send him an email and ask him what the differances are? I'm waiting for the 953 to come out in then, I've got me second IF on the way......:D

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
MDurango said:
Looking for some advice. I am building a custom Steel Crown Jewel with Independent Fabrications. I am definitely getting a carbon fork, but wonder about the performance difference of going with the carbon seat stay options. Weight loss is minimal, but will there be a performance difference? Any thoughts:confused:
I have two steel frames with carbon in the rear. One with the seat stays and one with both seat and chain stays. I might be able to argue that they feel stiffer under acceleration that the other (almost equivalent) steel bikes I own, but I doubt any of the frame technology experts on the forum would believe me. In terms of ride, no difference whatsoever.

I think they look cool. Beyond that, little if anything noticeable. Having two, I've never done a third and wouldn't.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would skip the carbon stays. I do not have first hand experience but as other has mentioned I do not see any advantages. Not to mention, I think the all steel frame would look better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all

Based on what I have heard today and a little further research I thinkg I will go without the carbon stays - will save me some cash to spend on other overpriced accessories!
Thanks all

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
MDurango said:
Based on what I have heard today and a little further research I thinkg I will go without the carbon stays - will save me some cash to spend on other overpriced accessories!
Good choice, money is better spent on good shoes or shorts.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Search

MDurango said:
This topic has been thrashed a few times, so a search would be instructive. IMO you have made the right choice, but others will disagree :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Good suggestion - am new to the Forum and hadn't even thought of doing an archive search.

Now if I only didn't worry that I really NEED a titanium frame....Thanks again

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
a possible weights savings is it

as steel stays will produce a nicer ride. it may stiffen the rear a bit,but the whole point of riding steel is for the feel of steel. why gum that up with some CF?

·
Registered
19 Posts
nix the carbon stays

yeah- dan't make sense ta put carbon stays on a steel frame
specially a high end one

might be nice to make all the other bits - bar/stem/post/cranks with carbon on a brushed steel frame with polished lugs

ummmmmmmm

:)

·
Registered
432 Posts
hairscrambled said:
Agree. And why risk having the bonding material (glue) come undone?
Some things never die. The early frames (20 years ago) that had carbon tubes bonded into aluminum lugs had bonding failures Some early frames, when they didn't understand that there would be galvanic corrosion between carbon fiber and aluminum, did not insulate their aluminum bottom bracket shells and eventually the aluminum corroded and started spinning. That wasn't a bonding failure in the glue.
I challenge you to find any story on the internet that is current that documents a bonding failure on a bike using carbon fiber tubes bonded to another material. A current one, or only a couple of years old and definately not something dredged up from the early days of the first uses of carbon fiber in bicycles. If you find one, post it here. And I am sure you can find one. What you won't find, although you imply it, is that there is a systematic problem with bonding carbon fiber tubes presently.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hmmm

collectorvelo said:
what a silly ass thing to do to a nice high grade steel frame

serves no purpose
I agree with your concept but I disagree with your presentation as it seems derogatory...

I will apologize on your behalf to the OP as I think you mean well right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts