Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am getting ready for the upgrade and in my research, I keep asking myself the same question: Aside from fit (and maybe some weight), what is really the difference between a $175 carbon shoe and a $400 pair?

I can see some improvement in unidirectional, but what mades a SIDI unidirectional carbon shoe ~$100 more than the Bontrager? Riddle me that one....

·
The Cube
1,108 Posts
try specialized. basically, I found carbon road shoes to be just as comfortable by fit, and to decrease the pressure the pedals transfer to my feet well enough to be worth the price. obviously an exaggeration, but imagine the progression of foot discomfort you'd get while riding, and just as importantly after riding through the next day or however long to go like this: bare foot-sock-regular nike-non carbon-carbon road shoe.

from there, find what fits well and is in your price range. the 175 may work way better for you than the 400. buy based on return policy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sometimes its materials that are used and sometimes its how replaceable the parts are on the shoes. I know for a fact that many of Sidi's shoes can have parts replaced by any bike store should a part break. I also find the leather that Sidi uses to be very good in both hot and cold temperatures as compared to my old LG carbon shoes.

Truth be told, buy what you feel is right, but buy based on comfort - not necessarily price. A $300 shoe may sound expensive, but sore feet over the next year could have been worth that little bit of extra cash. I used to have foot problems from years of running with my flat feet and can attest to the benefits of good insoles.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Look into it a little deeper. Some of the less expensive carbon soles are actually a combination of fiber glass and carbon so they flex more. The higher end shoes may also have features like moldable soles, replaceable parts, more venting and lighter weight uppers. You have to decide what features are important to you.
In my own experience, a carbon sole provides a superior platform. It spreads the pressure over the entire bottom of your foot, not just the ball like some composite soles.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Mootsie said:
hmm if you're lucky enough for them to still have your size, I would go for it.
You were suppose to talk me out of it. Oh well, I will order them by the end of the day.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Sidi shoes are narrow. I had an unfortunate summer one year with a pair of Genius 2 Sidis I got on sale. Try a pair on first.

Carbon soled shoes are really nice. I've been riding the high end Shimano road and mtn shoes for a few years and they're great.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
pmf said:
Sidi shoes are narrow. I had an unfortunate summer one year with a pair of Genius 2 Sidis I got on sale. Try a pair on first.

Carbon soled shoes are really nice. I've been riding the high end Shimano road and mtn shoes for a few years and they're great.
I've tried them on, they fit like a glove; that's why I want them. My Shimano's fit well too; I almost got the R132, but when I tried on Sidi's I fell in love.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tommy Walker said:
I've tried them on, they fit like a glove; that's why I want them. My Shimano's fit well too; I almost got the R132, but when I tried on Sidi's I fell in love.
If you don't mind the silver color, I bought those same shoes at Sierra Trading Post for $170 and change including shipping. They are showing $225 right now, but sign up for their dealflyer emails and you will likely get a code for up to 30% off of that eventually.

STP Sidi Genius 5

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
MrFrump said:
If you don't mind the silver color, I bought those same shoes at Sierra Trading Post for $170 and change including shipping. They are showing $225 right now, but sign up for their dealflyer emails and you will likely get a code for up to 30% off of that eventually.

STP Sidi Genius 5
Ouch, with 25% off they come to $170....gotta to decide if I want silver or get black for $45 more.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Tommy Walker said:
Ouch, with 25% off they come to $170....gotta to decide if I want silver or get black for $45 more.
Go with silver. Black makes your feet look heavy, like your wearing sod busters. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
trisports might have them for under $160. Website is slow, might have to call. Mikesbikes has them for $199. lickbikes has them for under 220 the revious best price

·
Registered
266 Posts
performance has em for 215 right now. Might be worth it if you don't like em, take em right back! Did that with a pair of sidi dom 5's

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
If you want a good pair of carbon soled shoes, don't over look the Shimano's I've been riding the R132's for almost a year now. Absolutely love them. Biggest reason is they fit my feet better than many shoes on the market.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Tommy Walker said:

PBK has a number of different one's and with the TDFUSA code they come out to $172

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I'm on my 2nd pair of carbon shoes & love'em. I looked at the carbon injected soles but I insisted on the all carbon. I'm glad I did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts