Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike starting to make a popping sound every time I would stand and put pressure on the handelbars. Sounded like the handlebar, but I could never get rid of the sound. Today I removed the stem and found a slight gouge in my carbon steerer tube. Not sure if this was the cause of the noise, but I assume I need a new fork?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I can't see it clearly enough from the pic. How did it get gouged? Seems to me it had to be sometime during assembly. How long have you been riding it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 2 months.. I'm baffled on how it happened. I remember that my stem slipped sideways after I first installed it. Afterwards though, I pulled the stem off to look for scrapes. Nothing was present. Reassembled and torqued to 45-50 inch pounds. I reassembled the fork/stem and the creaking/popping sound is gone. Not sure if something got into a spacer above my stem... thats the only thing i can think off. At this point, I'll probably have a shop take a look. Not sure what to think... its not deep, but I know you can never tell with carbon.

·
Registered
553 Posts
looks to me like it is under the stem clamp area. probably caused by the stem torsion you describe. i would make sure there were no burrs of any sort on the inside of the stem clamp, and then not worry about it. the clamp pressure is going to hold everything in place.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
You'll be fine. You don't need a new fork. If you did, it would have exploded by now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.