Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,. Has anyone purchased any of these TT frames?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270329779974

There are a few from different sellers on EBay, one under 'Hasa' naming as well.

Prices range $600 - $1000, no branding, but not an issue for me. Feedback for this seller seems good, with all purchasers of Road Frames being happy. But can't find any TT buyers. I have read other feeds regarding the Road Frames and some people have had issues.

Thinking of pulling the trigger, but just wondering if anyone else has done so? Apologies for the Ebay user name in the pic, not trying to drum up business for the guy!

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers

Thanks,

To my eye, that is exactly the same frame. The Kurve guy must be sourcing these and applying his own badging.

I think if you get away from the 'Made in Taiwan' stigma, then it seems to tick most of the boxes.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
yes, he says it's the same frame (the first post mentions the ebay deal). Since just about all carbon frames are sourced from Asia, there's nothing wrong with where it's made - the only drawback is warranty support etc. Just make sure the seat post dimensions work OK since it's integrated (you'll most likely have to take it to a shop to get it cut). An integrated post makes traveling a bit more complicated, but in this size it would still fit in most bike cases etc.

It looks like a nice TT frame - pretty standard geometry, internal cable routing etc. and the price is right...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice find, stevesbike!

And if people have a negative stigma about buying a "made in Taiwan" frame (or another Asian mass production location), then their choices are EXTREMELY limited. I guess the factory could make 2000 namebrand frames or those plus 5000 no-name frames, from the same molds, and sell at probably similar prices. Hmmmm, tough choice for them... ;-)
(my opinion, anyway, and production numbers are for example only)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as the quality is ok, place of manufacture should be irrelevant. If anything, given the amount of carbon products coming out of countries like Taiwan, they should be very experienced with their builds.

'Dressing' the nude frame up with well known brand names just helps us feel better about spending more. After years of consumerism brain-washing, we automatically relate higher prices to better products. NOT always the case!

If you're willing to buy a nude frame, I guess you have a lot of options. Leave it be, personalize it. Like the guy who did the 'Dark Star' build.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=154621&highlight=darkstar

I think if I was cycling with him, I would be more intrigued and want to know more about his bike, than cycling with someone on a stock-standard build.

Well, I'm going on now. Maybe I'm trying to sell myself. I have been through the sellers feedback and there have been no other purchasers of the TT frame in the last 90 days. All the purchasers who have brought road frames from this seller have left positive feedback about the frames.

I guess someone's got to bite the bullet and get one. The guy who has decorated the 'Kurve' frame shows what is possible if you put in some effort.

Well, if I go ahead with this I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
A thought.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but the sizing info appears a bit odd. The 54 top tube sort of fits a 'medium,' but the 49 c-to-c seat tube on a frame that appears to have a horizontal top tube would make this a 'small' or 'very small.' Then again, we don't know how exactly how the c-to-c was measured, and the photo may show the top tube as horizontal when in fact it is not.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
because of the short headtube on TT bikes, the c-c size is often misleading (cervelo says on their website: "our TT/tri bikes have a dropped toptube and shortened headtube to enable the rider to position the aerobars low enough for a proper aero position. This means that the frame size is no longer equivalent to the seattube length,"). The TT length is usually the dimension to shoot for. Because of the integrated seatpost, I'd do some checking into the 790mm c-top of post dimension - I'd want to make sure whether this is top of seatpost with or without the clamp etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did contact the seller in regards to the derailleur hanger and got a reply saying that it does come with one. I was left a little uneasy however, as parts of my question were 'copy/pasted' into the reply. I understand that english may be an issue, but I still hope they understand what I'm asking.

Sizing-wise, I have compared it with my current set up, which is fairly compact and it works for me. But I will be able to tell you more shortly as I purchased the frame.

Good or Bad, I'll be able to give the complete lowdown on these frames.

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
stevesbike said:
because of the short headtube on TT bikes, the c-c size is often misleading (cervelo says on their website: "our TT/tri bikes have a dropped toptube and shortened headtube to enable the rider to position the aerobars low enough for a proper aero position. This means that the frame size is no longer equivalent to the seattube length,"). The TT length is usually the dimension to shoot for. Because of the integrated seatpost, I'd do some checking into the 790mm c-top of post dimension - I'd want to make sure whether this is top of seatpost with or without the clamp etc.
A 790 seattube, even center to top of clamp, for an about 50 cm c-t tall, non sloping frame, would make a huge saddle - to - bar drop. I think that someone needing anything close to 790 mm seattube would necessitate an unsafe amount of spacers underneath the rise-type stem to ride comfortably.. all my respect for those who wouldn't :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to clarify....

Where is this 790mm measurement coming from? The frames I'm looking at have a C-T of 750mm which I think is on the money.

I do agree with the statements about the 790mm, this would be an awkward set-up. One could only assume the post would be cut? But if there is anyone who could ride that setup with limited risers, they would certainly have an interesting angle of attack into the wind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, whilst awaiting the arrival of the frame. I have continued to browse around and it becomes fairly obvious that these frames are in wide use.

If you look at the ones on EBay, there are some variances, such as headtube nose, rear wheel cutout and seatpost integrated / not. But there are heaps of companies using these frames. I'm not talking about your big-name brands.

But what I see is many bike 'builders', buying these frames in bulk, which drops at least 20% off the price, probably something more like 30 - 40% depending on volume. I would assume the frames then go through a quality control and structural check before a company would want to put their name on it.

Then the frames are 'finished'. So, to my mind this would include some minor alterations. Such as better quality cable stays, drop outs , etc. Then it's decorated and branded.

I have attached an example for everyone.

I have not looked at the road frames, but I'm sure there would be a similar pattern of usage as well.

My point, I guess, is that from my point of view these 'blank' frames on EBay represent a chance for people to get good carbon frames at a great price. I think if you're considering buying one of these frames, then you accept the fact that the frame my need some tweaking. But as long as the structural elements are there, you've got yourself a great little project.

What's more, when I'm cycling with other guys on their Giant, Cervelo, Specialized etc, it's going to be the guy on the 'custom' build who's going to draw more attention. I know if I saw a rack of bikes with the 'Kurve' build and a P3C, I'm going to be more interested in the Kurve. I think it's psychologically beneficial being the unknown quantity.

Just have to make sure you 'decorate' your frame professionally!

Anyway, I'll keep you guys in the loop, with pics of build, etc, blah blah blah.

·
Registered
383 Posts
looks pretty darn good bike. the front wheel cut-out on the down tube looks really good...plenty aero, etc.

nothing is wrong with stuff made in taiwan. we are all surrounded by stuff made in other countries..in fact the screen you are looking at right now is probably made in taiwan, the mouse, keypad, etc. they are experienced with that they do and most of us know that they are good at it. many well-known brands are often times produced out of one same factory...just different molds. different countries offer different skills and products, etc.

what would you consider to be a "professionally decorated" nude frame? leaving it nude? stickers? just curious. I think some witty bumper stickers might be even more fun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, the whole 'decorating' thing is a broad subject. Nude? Stickers? Paint?

What's "professionally decorated"? Well, I guess that's a matter of taste. I guess once I get the frame in my hands I can figure out what I want to do with it more clearly.

I did see these stickers on EBay that made me laugh, particularly the 'kick your face in' one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally.....

Okay everyone.

Time to update you on what’s happening. My Frame finally arrived today…… very long time to receive! I wasn’t a happy camper during this period and had a bit or correspondence with the seller. To be fair, it was an issue with the post office in China. Buying anything during Chinese New Year can be prone to delays it seems. Once the frame was finally on it’s way it only took 5 days, but it was nearly 4 weeks since payment.

To defend the seller also, they were very prompt with emails and although their ‘english’ wasn’t the best, I felt okay with the communication. Emails were replied to within 6-12hrs.

Anyway, the frame was well wrapped and protected for shipping. Although not in a box as I would have expected, there was a lot of bubble wrap and cardboard and I was sufficiently happy with the wrapping.

I knew there might be issues with the frame, but as long as it was structurally sound I didn’t mind doing a bit of work on it. The frame is exactly as the pics on Ebay show and I have measured it and everything corresponds to the sellers’ description of sizing and weight. If anyone would like anything in particular measured please let me know.

The Frame…..

The frame is very well made. The 12k weave shows very clearly through the clear coat and looks great. Inside the headtube the inner material is clearly a 3k weave, but from my own investigations the mixing of different grade weaves is normal and helps add stiffness in certain areas. The area around the BB is nicely oversized and I would assume there is little flex as a result. The clear coat is essentially flawless, I have found a few scuffs under the BB area, but this will never be seen anyway. The internal cable guides are a little rough, they are brushed aluminium or similar and whilst functional, I would have preferred Stainless or something with a better finish. Purely a personal quirk.

The front derailleur hanger is fairly cheap and of not good quality, but as it is a bolt on, it is easily replaceable. The rear hanger is good, no need to change this one really, but it is also a bolt-on and removable also. The cable routing for the front derailleur was a mystery for me until I got the frame. There is internal routing via a hole at the rear of the BB, exiting just under the front hanger. The exiting hole is a little rough and will probably do with some sort of cosmetic touch-up. But it is inside the chainrings and not something easily seen, just me being fussy. The seatpost clamp appears to be all 12k carbon, it feels a bit heavy, but this is all the cheap metallic bits. This is easily swappable though. The faces of the BB are a little rough, I think a little touch with some very fine sandpaper will resolve it very easily
The forks are great, no issues at all. The steerer is 3k, with the exterior being 12k on the actual legs. Nothing to really say about these…. Perfect.

I did put on a wheelset to make sure the alignment and spacing’s where correct. No issues to report, with everything nicely centred.

All in all, I’m very happy with the Frameset. For $US600, it’s great value for money. The areas that I thought may have issues are easily fixed and/or replaceable. But really, you could build it up straight from the box with no issues. If anyone has any specific questions please ask, or if anyone wants any photos of anything in particular let me know.

I’ll post more pics once I have built it up.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.