Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Dura Ace 7800 clincher wheelset to a lighter set of carbon tubular wheels. I'm currently around the 100kg mark (enroute to 90kg but not there yet!!) and I was hoping for some recommendations regarding makes and models which might be suitable for a rider of my build.

I really like the look of the Lightweights but I'm not sure if they are really OK for my weight (plus the price issue) so if anyone has an opinion I would be most obliged.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
nutter said:
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Dura Ace 7800 clincher wheelset to a lighter set of carbon tubular wheels. I'm currently around the 100kg mark (enroute to 90kg but not there yet!!) and I was hoping for some recommendations regarding makes and models which might be suitable for a rider of my build.

I really like the look of the Lightweights but I'm not sure if they are really OK for my weight (plus the price issue) so if anyone has an opinion I would be most obliged.
zipp clydesdale perhaps?
I have never understood however why a few hundred grams is that important when person and bike is close to 110000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
den bakker said:
zipp clydesdale perhaps?
I have never understood however why a few hundred grams is that important when person and bike is close to 110000.
Thanks for the suggestion i'll have a look.

With regards to the weight, the issue of saving a hundred grams is silly for all of us, for me its a percentage reduction of 0.093% in comparison to a 0.125% reduction for a rider/bike combination of 80kg, so its extremely difficult to justify from a performance or cost stand point for anyone unless you are racing. :)

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
nutter said:
Thanks for the suggestion i'll have a look.

With regards to the weight, the issue of saving a hundred grams is silly for all of us, for me its a percentage reduction of 0.093% in comparison to a 0.125% reduction for a rider/bike combination of 80kg, so its extremely difficult to justify from a performance or cost stand point for anyone unless you are racing. :)
well, agree. Except the "unless". I'm happily racing on my 10 years old steel frame with a beaten up 9 sp group :)
Could probably shave off a bit more than a few houndred grams :).
Anyway, my point was more that if you were after upgrading, stiffness might be a more important parameter than 100 grams. Nothing like the sound of a rim hitting the brake pads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
den bakker said:
well, agree. Except the "unless". I'm happily racing on my 10 years old steel frame with a beaten up 9 sp group :)
Could probably shave off a bit more than a few houndred grams :).
Anyway, my point was more that if you were after upgrading, stiffness might be a more important parameter than 100 grams. Nothing like the sound of a rim hitting the brake pads.
The stiffness is a very good point, at present the DA wheels I have seem pretty stiff, however when i'm out of the saddle I have noticed a slight amount of rear brake rub. I had initially put this down to the frame flexing rather than the wheel but from what you're saying I might have assumed wrong. Are carbon tubulars normally more or less stiff than alu clinchers or is this simply an issue of spoke count?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I wouldn't suggest a carbon rim for anyone for day to day use regardless of weight, but that's me. Are these going to be Sunday rides kind of wheels, or everyday use?

Some thoughts: If a company offers it, go with the clydesdale/cyclocross version of their rim. You need all the impact resistance you can get. The Zipp Pave rim for example with 32 spokes laced to a dura-ace or campy hub.

Mavic has a 2 year no-fault warranty called MP3. You could get either their carbon/al of full carbon wheel and the warranty. Then, if it doesn't hold up, you get a new wheel.

If weight is your primary goal: Consider some good old Al box rim tubbies. The Ambrosio F20 crono in 36 hole should be light, stiff, and cheap. It worked for Boonen at Worlds. Again, Dura-ace or Record hubs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
euro-trash said:
I wouldn't suggest a carbon rim for anyone for day to day use regardless of weight, but that's me. Are these going to be Sunday rides kind of wheels, or everyday use?

Some thoughts: If a company offers it, go with the clydesdale/cyclocross version of their rim. You need all the impact resistance you can get. The Zipp Pave rim for example with 32 spokes laced to a dura-ace or campy hub.

Mavic has a 2 year no-fault warranty called MP3. You could get either their carbon/al of full carbon wheel and the warranty. Then, if it doesn't hold up, you get a new wheel.

If weight is your primary goal: Consider some good old Al box rim tubbies. The Ambrosio F20 crono in 36 hole should be light, stiff, and cheap. It worked for Boonen at Worlds. Again, Dura-ace or Record hubs.
Thats interesting to hear about the Mavic warranty, that would definately give me more piece of mind. :)

I was planning to use the new wheelset for special events (races etc) and keep the DA wheelset for general day to day use and training (hense the consideration of carbon, but Alu might be the way to go).

With regards to spoke numbers my current DA wheels have 16 and 20 spokes (from memory) and I've not had any problem with these so far even on pretty bad road surfaces. Do carbon tubulars need more spokes, or are carbon and Alu rims pretty much the same when it comes to strength and stiffness?

·
iedereen op de fiets
669 Posts
I am 215# or ~97kg. I rode my ZIPP 404 tubulars, not the clydesdale/cyclocross version, for more than 2,000 miles last year. No problems with the wheels and I only had one flat. Do I need them? No. Did I want them? Yes. Ride what you want to ride.

·
Registered
655 Posts
nutter said:

I am a big rider and have had very good luck with Campy Boras. They cost a bit less then LW and are very stiff, rebuildable, have no weight limit, and a tad more areo then LW. IMO Zips are sometimes great but I have heard to many stories of problems to recommend them. That said they are very fast wheels. I would also recomend that you have a spare set of wheels for very windy or rainy days if you use any carbon rim. That said I have found the boras very strong, they brake well and do give an edge dispite what some may think. I have had the boras for two months now and last week I did my first race. I felt the gave me a better jump and a bit more top end. I will admit that it may all be in my head but I will take all the help I can. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
nutter said:

If your happy with the da wheels the new da carbon tubulars are extremely light at around 1300 grams and i'm sure are plenty stiff. They look nice too. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
nutter said:

You should take a look at the carbon rims form Reynolds. Most come with a very reliable White Ind. Hub. I switched from Zipp 303's and have been extremely satisfied. Braking surface is wonderful compared to the Zipps. If you get the Zipps I hope you don't need to stop quickly or while going downhill (Just isn't gonna happen). JF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. After reading through numerious reviews of every wheel set I could find i've taken the plunge and ordered a set of the carbonsport standard lightweights 20/20 spokes front and rear (should be arriving next week). The reason for this totally insane purchase will probably escape most people, I can try to justify it by listing all the stuff about strength, weight, looks, great customer service etc but in the end I think it just comes down to the fact that if you want something and you can afford it go for it... you only live once! plus having "lightweight" written on the wheels should hopefully motivate me to loose more kilos so that I can take the "lardy arse" sticker off my shorts ;)

Now the only problem is trying to justify this to my better half which I get the feeling is going to be a little tricky :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
nutter said:
Now the only problem is trying to justify this to my better half which I get the feeling is going to be a little tricky :D
"Baby, look what I got off Ebay for half-price". You need to practice that line. Then, you go to the mailbox everyday this month and hide the Visa statement when it arrives.

·
Registered
655 Posts
nutter said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. After reading through numerious reviews of every wheel set I could find i've taken the plunge and ordered a set of the carbonsport standard lightweights 20/20 spokes front and rear (should be arriving next week). The reason for this totally insane purchase will probably escape most people, I can try to justify it by listing all the stuff about strength, weight, looks, great customer service etc but in the end I think it just comes down to the fact that if you want something and you can afford it go for it... you only live once! plus having "lightweight" written on the wheels should hopefully motivate me to loose more kilos so that I can take the "lardy arse" sticker off my shorts ;)

I looked at cheaper wheels and I was going to get them untill I read about that guy who crashed when his wheel broke. Poor wife is still caring for him six months latter. I did not want that to happen to you (Make eye contact and try not to laugh). ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I showed a picture of the LW's to a mate and his response was "they look a bit cheap! they've got the word lightweight stencilled on them". NOW if only I can get the same reaction from the wife when I take them home for the first time :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts