Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just dawned on me...

Now, the brake blocks used on carbon wheels aren't supposed to be used with alu wheelsets for a few reasons:

• braking performance (carbon pads are better on carbon rims)
  • wheel wear (small shards of metal from the alu rim could hose the carbon brake surface)

It hasn't happened to me yet, but what do you guys do in the event of a tubie flat on carbon rims? Do you just have more than one set of carbon tubies for races as your spare pit set? Do you use the same pads for both wheelsets? What do you do?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
It just dawned on me...

Now, the brake blocks used on carbon wheels aren't supposed to be used with alu wheelsets for a few reasons:

• braking performance (carbon pads are better on carbon rims)
  • wheel wear (small shards of metal from the alu rim could hose the carbon brake surface)

It hasn't happened to me yet, but what do you guys do in the event of a tubie flat on carbon rims? Do you just have more than one set of carbon tubies for races as your spare pit set? Do you use the same pads for both wheelsets? What do you do?
How is a tubie flat on carbon rims any different than a tubie flat on alloy rims?

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alienator said:
How is a tubie flat on carbon rims any different than a tubie flat on alloy rims?
err umm...

I'm just wondering about the pads. What do you guys do when you have brake pads for carbon rims on your brakes, you flat out using carbon tubies in a race, and your only spare wheelset is a set of alloy clinchers...

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
err umm...

I'm just wondering about the pads. What do you guys do when you have brake pads for carbon rims on your brakes, you flat out using carbon tubies in a race, and your only spare wheelset is a set of alloy clinchers...
You can go from CF rims to alloy rims without any real issues. However, if you go from alloy to CF rims with the same set of pads, the Al bits in the pads can bugger the brake track on the CF rims.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
Don't use the brakes...

Or if you do, I guess you could remove the possible aluminum bits afterward. A little sandpaper? Honestly, I don't know... I'm way too poor and far below world champion status to have carbon rims.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Just get another set of carbon wheels for training, that way you don't need to change your brake blocks.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spunout said:
Just get another set of carbon wheels for training, that way you don't need to change your brake blocks.
I wish I had that kind of money to burn. lol. :(

·
Registered
838 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
err umm...

I don't buy into the aluminum shards in the brake pads destroying carbon rims. I am sure it may wear out the brake surface out a tiny amount faster but I really don't think by not changing your brake pads you are sanding away the carbon surface. If you think about how fast carbon rims wear out brake pads how long do you think the aluminum pieces are in the pads before the abrasive carbon brake surface scrubs that layer of the pad right off.

I my self do not switch pads around everytime I switch my wheels out and have never had a problem. I have done this for years and also did it while I was still racing which was about 50 races a year.

I have put on my nomex suit so start the flaming.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Carbon Pads

I agree. I hven't been too compulsive about swittching the pads when I go from AL to carbon or back and forth. That is assuming you have a good brake block to start with. I like the Zipp blocks. Regular blocks can really get hot and melt if you are doing a lot of braking on long descents in the mountains. The Zipps work well on carbon and seem good on AL as well. They are harder. Cork is ok but doesn't work on AL very well. I have the new Cool Stop carbon specific pads on my cross race bike and they seem good as well. Cool Stop makes the Zipp blocks. I don't know if there is any difference between the two.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Not to worry.

What do you guys do when you have brake pads for carbon rims on your brakes, you flat out using carbon tubies in a race, and your only spare wheelset is a set of alloy clinchers...
If you're racing seriously and get a flat, the furthest thing from your mind will be brake pads. You'll grab any wheel you can, get back into the race and try to regain your race rhythm. Race enough and your bike will just become a means to an end. It's easier that way, because you stop worrying about the inevitable race damage to your bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts