Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a true statement...

Carbon Fiber frames have come a long way in the past few years and they can be molded into some wild shapes. They look pretty and ride great for a few years. Carbon does not fatigue very well, it wears down rather quickly. Truth be told, carbon is great for around 3 years under normal riding conditions. Think of carbon as fancy fiberglass. It is carbon mesh that is all glued together in a mold. The glue, or resin, tends to stretch and fatigue as a result of the cycles of energy being displaced throughout the frame. Simply put, carbon fiber frames just wear out too quickly.​

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,791 Posts
Weav said:

Carbon Fiber frames have come a long way in the past few years and they can be molded into some wild shapes. They look pretty and ride great for a few years. Carbon does not fatigue very well, it wears down rather quickly. Truth be told, carbon is great for around 3 years under normal riding conditions. Think of carbon as fancy fiberglass. It is carbon mesh that is all glued together in a mold. The glue, or resin, tends to stretch and fatigue as a result of the cycles of energy being displaced throughout the frame. Simply put, carbon fiber frames just wear out too quickly.​
Meh.

One of my fellow regulars here I believe rides a 20 year old CF bike. So long as you don't crash it-you're fine. If you crash CF, if it gets damaged the likelihood of being sunk is higher than metal. Other than that. Just ride.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
No it's complete BS.

Do you really suspect carbon frames wear out in three years yet with the thousands upon thousands of carbon bikes out there that has remained a secret?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Weav said:
BS++

Carbon does not have the same fatigue cycle as metal. If it was as dire as that quote suggests Airbus A380's should be dropping out of the skys left, right & centre!

·
Registered
715 Posts
It's a quote from a titanium bike company, pride cycles....

I always think that if your stuff is so good, you would be succesful without having to insult the competition, smells like someone is trying too hard....

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
olr1 said:
It's a quote from a titanium bike company, pride cycles....

I always think that if your stuff is so good, you would be succesful without having to insult the competition, smells like someone is trying too hard....
Wow. I assumed it would have just been some dope who managed to log on to the internet. Pretty bad that a bike maker is either that missinformed or that dishonest.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Weav said:
Think of carbon as fancy fiberglass. It is carbon mesh that is all glued together in a mold.
I made the mistake of saying that a few years ago over at BF. At the time everyone who shelled out thousands of dollars for their new plastic fantastic frames hated me. Fact is CF is just really high end fiberglass.

Fiberglass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiberglass

CF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fiber

If you read you'll see they're basically similar.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd hate to ride a bike made out of iron.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I got exactly 3 years out of a Calfee Tetra Pro. I went out to ride it on day 1096 and it was a big pile of spaghetti on the floor. Looked like salt water taffy with wheels. The matrix had collapsed overnight, and it wasn't even summertime.

I can't express how disappointed I was. I wish I had listened to those titanium companies like Lightspeed and Seven. Oh wait, they're selling CF bikes now too. :idea:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
terry b said:
I got exactly 3 years out of a Calfee Tetra Pro. I went out to ride it on day 1096 and it was a big pile of spaghetti on the floor. Looked like salt water taffy with wheels. The matrix had collapsed overnight, and it wasn't even summertime.
Some CF frames revert to lingini while others capellini sized noodles. All is good with a well made meat based sauce slowly simmered. :D I dunno if SHamano or Campy seasoning is betetr.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
What is the name of the company that wrote this bullshit?

Pride Cycles?

Carbon bikes SUCK!!!!! But i kinda like my Look...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts