Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
dperk789 said:
I would like to hear from those who have ridden these types of frames and how they compare?
Do a search on frame materials, and you'll read the same fact over and over again: it's not the material. It's the design, construction, and proper use of a given material in a frame.

Test ride what tempts you, then base your decision on what feels best.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
material comparisons are worthless...

Other than the fact that aluminum has to be made stiffer (and usually more harsh riding) to avoid a short fatigue life, you really can't compare frames based on material.

It's entirely possible to make a frame from any of these materials that rides very harsh. The key to a good design is the size, shape and thickness of the tubes.

I've owned aluminum that rode almost as good as a carbon C-40 and Ti that beat me to death. I really prefer carbon, althoough carbon can be made too stiff also, at least it dampens the high frequency vibration better than other materials.

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Alienator hit the nail on the head

I've owned or own steel, Alu, Ti, Carbon, Alu Mix, and Ti/Mix and I can tell you from experience that it not the material it's the design and the qulaity of materials. Go for fit first and then ride several bikes that you like and try and get one that has the ride quality you like. However, unless you are test riding with the same wheel set, the cush factor could very well be the wheels.

JR

·
Registered
33 Posts
What is better

The question should be what is better for you. Perhaps you want a stiff fast frame for cheap- Aluminum would fith the bill. Or a not so stiff fast frame for alot oh mula.
I have a Titus TI which is stiff, fast and very comfortable.
I have a TREK 5500 carbon which dampens so well it is unbelieveable. I like both bikes equally for different reasones. However, I ride the TREK more simply because it fits better it is a 58cm and the TI is a 60 cm (and for sale);>)
Comes back to what is better for you. I bought the TREK with a big chip out of the frame for 1000. Perfect bike for me because I wanted a bike I could toss in the back of the truck. I don't think I would treat a 4000 dollar bike with such indifference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts