Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
campguy71 said:
I am looing for a new bike, maybe my last bike. Thinking Ti because of the lifetime thing. How long will a carbon frame last?
I'm a big Ti fan, but I've been eyeing carbon lately, well, until my carbon seatpost cracked. Carbon has a lot going for it, but I'm not sure "lifetime" is one of it's top qualities. If I had to pick a bike to be my last bike, it would be titanium.

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
"How long will a carbon frame last?"

Nobody knows. They've only been making carbon bike frames for what, 25 years max? There are plenty of those original carbon bikes still on the road; they've lasted those 25 years just fine. So at the very least we know that carbon frames can last 25 years. Perhaps longer; we'll know next year.

There are also 2 month old carbon frames that got munged in a wreck. Likewise, there are 2 month old Ti, Al, & CroMo frames that got munged in a wreck. But I don't hear anyone claiming that steel frames will only last 2 months.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
My last Ti frame cracked after only three years. The manufacturer replaced it under their lifetime warranty. It was caused by a design or manufacturing defect that concentrated the stresses in the chainstay. This wasn't a super light Ti frame either, and at under 145 lbs I'm no bike wrecker.

My conclusion is that no bike frame material is perfectly durable. Since carbon rides so much better, that's what I am riding now.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
Arrrghhh

There are no better materials. There are great designs, strong riders and poor designs with bad builds.Please, not another the magic material thread, please GOD please:eek: :mad2:

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Don't kid yourself-Ti fails too.

Your best bet to get a "lifetime" frame is to buy from a company with a history of good design and durability. Material isn't nearly as important as buying from a company with a reputation.

OTOH almost any bike could last a lifetime.

Life is short, don't waste it.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
yup

MB1 said:
Your best bet to get a "lifetime" frame is to buy from a company with a history of good design and durability. Material isn't nearly as important as buying from a company with a reputation.

OTOH almost any bike could last a lifetime.

Life is short, don't waste it.
well said

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
campguy71 said:
I am looing for a new bike, maybe my last bike. Thinking Ti because of the lifetime thing. How long will a carbon frame last?
If you dont crash,long enough until your next bike and then you'll have a great backup.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
. . . maybe my last bike.
Unless you're 80 years old or facing immediate and abject poverty, the last bike sentiment is a great delusion shared by all cyclists. A few hours after the first frame scratch, you'll be looking at new bikes on the web. One day later, you'll be looking at your financial status. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go with what fits and what is comfortable

It does not matter it a frame will last 50 years if it is not comfortable in the present. Also riding style and body size can make a big difference. I am a clydesdale plus and when I was looking at Carbon bikes a couple of the companies were honest and told me not to get theirs. So body physical size and style of riding may be a factor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.