Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to start a new thread not about China Carbon wheels but maybe I'll end up with them anyway! Looking at the choices of a medium depth carbon clinchers (38-60mm) there is a ton of choices. Is one really that much superior to the other? I have a lot of experience with high end wheels so I do recognize there are differences to some degree. My Rolf's were flexy but harsh, my Reynolds were just harsh but very light, and my current wheelset is fast, comfortable, and stiff enough (Mavic Cosmic Carbone). However, my Mavic's are heavy (1,800 grams) and I want something lighter. Currently looking at the Enve 1.45's at around 1,300 grams for a 45 mm, the Easton EC90SL's at 1,500 grams for a 38 mm, and Zipp 404's at 1,650 grams for a 58 mm. Each in my mind have their Pro's and Con's. The Enve's are light and a good depth, the Easton's reviews are glowing with praise for their comfort and stiffness, the Zipp's are fast but I really don't like the look. Of course there is also price, the Easton's can be had for $1,200 and the other two are closer to $2,600. Are they worth it? I can also do a custom build with Enve's and get Alchemy hubs and white spokes. And maybe I just go with China wheels and save a bunch of money......help me decide!

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
This is quite the common dilemma. People always ask us if it is worth it to pay a bunch of extra money for carbon. And the true answer is that it depends. If you are serious about your riding, then carbon may be an option. For those who want a stiff wheel and outstanding durability, it is a perfect solution. More importantly, this is truly dependent on wether or not your wallet (or your wife) will allow you to drop that much cashola on a set of hoops.
Now let's discuss your options. First off, you shouldn't even consider the Zipp 404s. The hubs have a small axle diameter which makes for poor power transfer. Also, 1650 grams? Why even go carbon? Might as well build up some Deep V rims for christs sake.
Regarding your last two choices, if you are focusing on saving some dollar bills the Eastons wouldn't be a bad bet. The power transfer isn't going to be up to par with an Alchemy/Enve combo though.

·
AKA Old Man
598 Posts
I understand that Enve/Alchemy is high zoot, but as far as noticeable power transfer, can you really tell and or personally measure? I want nothing more than to drop 2300 but will I really be able to feel the difference?

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
I am in the same market now and just scored a deal on some MC32 ULs but also want a deeper set. You may also want to consider the Shimano Dura Ace 50mm set they are 1600-1700 grams but the weight is at the hubs and not the rims. Also, you already have the Mavics but what about the set above yours. A buddy has the Cosmic Carbone SLR;s at 1600 grams and 52mm. He is a serious masher and these have held up great. Williams is out of stock but they look pretty good although I don't know about their hubs.

The Enve's sould great too but at a premium..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts