Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some new Zipp 404s tubulars. I'll mount the zipp pads on my campy brakes. Here's my question - should I have a second set of regular pads mounted on brake pad holders to swap out for when I use my regular aluminum rim training wheels and then switch back for every race where I use the Zipps or can I get away with just using the carbon pads all the time? I've heard people take both sides on this one. I know I don't feel like switching them out and shelling out another $50 bucks for 4 campy brake pad holders but if it saves my insanely expensive Zipps then it is worth it. If I just need to clean the pads every time I mount the Zipps, what do you recommend to do that - acetone? Thanks.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
ridewt said:
Got some new Zipp 404s tubulars. I'll mount the zipp pads on my campy brakes. Here's my question - should I have a second set of regular pads mounted on brake pad holders to swap out for when I use my regular aluminum rim training wheels and then switch back for every race where I use the Zipps or can I get away with just using the carbon pads all the time? I've heard people take both sides on this one. I know I don't feel like switching them out and shelling out another $50 bucks for 4 campy brake pad holders but if it saves my insanely expensive Zipps then it is worth it. If I just need to clean the pads every time I mount the Zipps, what do you recommend to do that - acetone? Thanks.

Yes you need to switch. Acetone will not rid your pads of the tiny aluminum shards that get inbedded in the pads. You should get a set of pads and holders for the alloy rims and another set for your carbon rims. You should also do a topic search because this topic has been discussed so many times.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
Why not just keep the pad holders where they are, and switch out the pads themselves? Do they not line up the same for each wheel? That sounds easier and cheaper to me than trading out entire pad holders.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Swap much?

GirchyGirchy said:
Why not just keep the pad holders where they are, and switch out the pads themselves? Do they not line up the same for each wheel? That sounds easier and cheaper to me than trading out entire pad holders.
I'm thinking that you haven't done much "pad swapping" or you would not make this suggestion. Most people require clamping the pads in a vice and some serious force to remove the pads. This is not something easily done while the brakes are all together and on the frame.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Never had to do that before

Kerry Irons said:
I'm thinking that you haven't done much "pad swapping" or you would not make this suggestion. Most people require clamping the pads in a vice and some serious force to remove the pads. This is not something easily done while the brakes are all together and on the frame.
I haven't replaced a lot of Campy pads, but Shimano, Koolstop, Avid, etc. pads all seemed to come out fine without using brute force and a vice. At worst I had to pry them out with a flat-blade screwdriver. With Avids, pulling the stupid pins out was a bigger PITA. Just my experience I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts