Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, only in my second year of cx, but loving it. Last year I rode my LaPierre Scandium with WCS full carbon fork using XTR V brakes (with the travel agent, or whatever the roller thing is called). I recently went to a carbon tubular wheelset, but realized I couldn't stick with my XTR's because of pad compound. So, I switched to the TRP EuroX canti brakes with carbon pads, and cannot believe the amount of brake shudder this has produced.

I'm old enough to remember setting up canti's on my '90's mtb's (my old Onzas were by far the best). I don't remember anything like this before. My understanding is that it is a product of the carbon steerer flexing, and causing the bow-and-arrow effect with the cable. Problem is, I can't do a fork mount cable stop with the WCS. I am not going to replace the fork. I tried toeing in the pads, and left the straddle cable as long as possible. I also tightened the headset to just below the point of binding/seizing. Nothing reduces the shudder/chatter. It is so pronounced, I think I'll either be thrown from the bike under hard braking, or the fork will snap.

I should point out that there is a fair amount of fore-aft play in the front brake calipers - i.e. they slide along the brake bosses with at least a millimeter of play or so. They feel loose. But if I put a washer behind the mounting bolt, it binds up. I really don't think this is the issue, though, as I had tried a set of Cane Creek canti's with regular aluminum rims before this latest change, and the shudder/chatter was easily as bad, if not worse. The Cane Creek canti's were much more tight to the brake bosses, with essentially no play and free rotation (i.e. they fit very well without play).

Now, I'm almost ready to give up on the canti's. So, one question is, is it possible to find carbon pads for XTR brakes? Or, is it possible to fit canti pads onto an XTR brake caliper? If so, which fit? I tried Dura Ace, Cane Creek (essentially the same) and TRP (which is an unthreaded post, so it doesn't work) but no luck. I could probably dremel out the slots to fix the D/A pad holders, but that seems extreme.

Other alternative - get the TRP CX-9 mini-v's. The one thing I can't figure out despite hours of searching on the net, is if the brake pads are interchangeable with the EuroX or any other road pad cartridge. If so, I could put on Dura Ace with carbon cartridges without worry.

I'd sure appreciate any help on this topic - thanks for reading this far as I know it was a long-winded post.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
I have the same fork and had the same problem, spent money on nice canti's and could not get rid of shudder...not until I toed the brakes so far that they barely worked. I decided to go with mini-v's and considering the issue of cable pull I searched for the mini v's with the shortest arms, this allows the brakes to move farther away from the wheel. I ended up with Tektro 926al brakes. At 80mm they have the shortest arms, while this is supposed to lessen mechanical advantage/power these things are ridiculous, one finger nose wheelies easy with Kool Stop Salmon pads and ZERO shudder. They actually have a fair bit of clearance but that's hardly an issue for me in SoCal. While they aren't the blingy'est brakes out there they work great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input - it looks like I will have to switch back to V brakes once again. I was hoping to find a carbon pad that fits the TRP mini V, but I could not really determine the size of the pads (V brake cartridge, or road). Turns out Kool Stop makes carbon pads that fit their tectonic system, which should fit any v brake. I just found this out today.

At least there seem to be options, as I have had trouble finding the Swissstop pads in North America.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Can you just take the pads/carriers off the TRP brakes and install them on your XTR's? that's what I would do...or just buy some new road-specific (shorter) carriers, then pick whatever pads you like

Re. buying a new set of mini-v Tektro's, you could do this as well, but you're still gonna have MTB-style (long) carriers and pads.

This problem is so common now that I can't understand why every cx fork manufacturer doesn't simply put a hole in the crown to run a cable stop. I had major shudder issues with an Easton fork that no brake or amount of toe-in would fix. I finally ditched the fork, bought a new one with a hole in the crown, and installed a crown-mounted cable stop. Now the brakes are rock solid...no shudder, no squeel, powerful, tons of modulation. Problem is, finding a GOOD cx fork (e.g., light) with a hole in the crown is nearly impossible...there just aren't a lot of options. Ended up buying one from one of these no-name carbon factories in China you see on ebay all the time. Full carbon, including steerer, it has a hole in the crown, it's light (<500g), AND it was cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
I decided to go with mini-v's and considering the issue of cable pull I searched for the mini v's with the shortest arms, this allows the brakes to move father away from the wheel. I ended up with Tektro 926al brakes.
Great idea and info, thanks OTR.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,446 Posts
turbomatic73 said:
Can you just take the pads/carriers off the TRP brakes and install them on your XTR's? that's what I would do...or just buy some new road-specific (shorter) carriers, then pick whatever pads you like

Re. buying a new set of mini-v Tektro's, you could do this as well, but you're still gonna have MTB-style (long) carriers and pads.

This problem is so common now that I can't understand why every cx fork manufacturer doesn't simply put a hole in the crown to run a cable stop. I had major shudder issues with an Easton fork that no brake or amount of toe-in would fix. I finally ditched the fork, bought a new one with a hole in the crown, and installed a crown-mounted cable stop. Now the brakes are rock solid...no shudder, no squeel, powerful, tons of modulation. Problem is, finding a GOOD cx fork (e.g., light) with a hole in the crown is nearly impossible...there just aren't a lot of options. Ended up buying one from one of these no-name carbon factories in China you see on ebay all the time. Full carbon, including steerer, it has a hole in the crown, it's light (<500g), AND it was cheap.
you'd THINK they'd figure this out...hell, we have!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts