Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a pair of Tubular Carbon wheels. Question is: Are these overkill for a cat 5 racer (looking to upgrade hopefully)? When I told a buddy of mine that I bought a pair, he kind of seemed surprised and gave me this look like...what the hell for? I am sure many of you will give the standard answer; who cares what people think...but, come on, we all care. So, just looking for honest answers.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Can you afford to not care very much if you crash them?

Then, you're good to go.

I'm just amazed at how many dollars of cat 5 gear is out there these days.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
mootinator said:
Just bought a pair of Tubular Carbon wheels. Question is: Are these overkill for a cat 5 racer (looking to upgrade hopefully)? When I told a buddy of mine that I bought a pair, he kind of seemed surprised and gave me this look like...what the hell for? I am sure many of you will give the standard answer; who cares what people think...but, come on, we all care. So, just looking for honest answers.
before the internet, where did people go to ask stupid questions?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I race on GL330's or Wolbers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's okay to race cat 5 on carbon tubulars. We all do this for fun, and part of the fun is riding cool equipment. Don't worry about the arrogant, sneering pricks --- there's alot of them on this site but very few at the races.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
As charleym said....We do this for fun, so who cares?

In the end it's armature racing, we do it for fun and fitness and we (well, all but very few) don't get paid to race...so race what you want. If you can afford carbon tubular wheels then by all means race them, ride them, sleep with them...do what ever you want with them.

If I could afford a pair, I'd race them.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
I think it is an overkill in my opinion.
With that said, if you are financially weathy and can replace it every time a mishap destroys it, then have at it.
Just you know, you can destroy a set of well built Alu wheelset in a crash as well, it just cost less to replace it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hell I don't even race but love riding on them so go and enjoy.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I agree that it is overkill, and having all sorts of different wheel sets, I question the true benefit in a cat 5 crit---- however, I find it interesting the over-generalizations that are made about crashing in crits. Most crashes do not result in destroyed wheels or frames.

I don't think "crashing" is any more of a valid reason in cat 5 than cat 1--- unless you factor in that the higher the category, the more likely your equipment is subsidized in some way.

That said, category 5 means you have less than 10 races under your jersey. You upgrade simply through experience--- not performance. For that reason alone you do not "need" them.

But carbon is the new aluminum--- they are so commonplace these days that I wouldn't really worry about it. As for me, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
966 Posts
filtersweep said:
I agree that it is overkill.
Irrespective of which category you race in when going over 40km/hr you will see the aero benefit therefore going faster with same watt. At crits where you are constantly accelerating lighter weight at rims will also be beneficial. Also everyone on here always talks about crashes at crits - is it really that common in states?

If you can afford it then why not but do bear in mind that part of the overall cost is that they are not as durable as alu and also you will spend on on tubs than clincher tyres (punctures).

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
who cares? and yes crashes are common... over here we call it, cat 3 is c-grade.... also known as c for crash....

more-so on some circuits than others, mostly due to holding speeds a bit above capability and a complete lack of technical skills on the bike... B and A grade are less common methinks.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
mootinator said:
you are a douche...
hit to close to the bone, did i?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not about "hitting too close to the bone", You loser. It's about showing others respect when they look for answers to a question. You feel that saying something as assinine as you did, makes you feel better about yourself, fine. It still makes you a douche...You are why new riders to the sport, get turned off. Just keep it to yourself if you don't want to respond with respect for anothers question. No big deal...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
agree w/ mootinator, that, and who do u think manufacturers are making high zoot stuff for? only athletes who smash the hr TT mark? hardly... if that was the case all they would do is pump out these products and give em away for free in sponsorships...

no... these products believe it or not, are mainstream - they rely on sales to the coffee crowd. They don't care about performance, name etc, just money...

how else do u explain all those italian names slapping their moniker on a mass produced generic taiwanese jobs and charging thousands more for it?? its essentially a poser tax. U willing to pay, then fine. Kinda how the market has always run.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
mootinator said:
It's not about "hitting too close to the bone", You loser. It's about showing others respect when they look for answers to a question. You feel that saying something as assinine as you did, makes you feel better about yourself, fine. It still makes you a douche...You are why new riders to the sport, get turned off. Just keep it to yourself if you don't want to respond with respect for anothers question. No big deal...
getting yourself into a lather, aren't you? :wink: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts