Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Which wheels

  • Mavic Carbone SLR

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Dura-Ace WH-7850-C50

    Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Other?

    Votes: 2 11.1%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me decide.....

I'm pretty tall and my weight is about 205lbs and I do a lot of club rides. Average pace is 24mph for flat rides and 20mph for hilly rides. I've decided to try 50mm wheels for the aerodynamics advantages versus going superlight.

It's down to Mavic Carbone SLR or Dura-Ace WH-7850-C50 (clinchers). Price and weight are about identical.

What would you choose?

thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
wesmon said:
Yeah, and maybe ride with a backpack full of bricks.
I didn't say that, but almost every single racer I know who race with nice wheels will train with gardenvariety rims. I see plenty of nice wheels on races, but we tend to leave them at home during the group rides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
One of the reasons that I went with the DA wheels is that they don't have a weight limit. FYI...I'm about 195. I've ridden my 7850 C24TL's for over 2,000 miles with no issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
I'd go something handbuilt (actually, I did. They will be delivered by the brown truck tomorrow). You can get better wheels than either of those options for less money. Granted, there is a lead time. The guy that made mine took about 6 weeks. So it's not instant gratification.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoelS said:
I'd go something handbuilt (actually, I did. They will be delivered by the brown truck tomorrow). You can get better wheels than either of those options for less money. Granted, there is a lead time. The guy that made mine took about 6 weeks. So it's not instant gratification.
Can you give an example build?
 

·
Good news everyone!
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
Can't you run the DA wheels tubeless as well? To me that is major win because flats suck and so to tubes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
wesmon said:
Has anyone heard of a weight limit for either set?
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're talking about weight limits, getting stronger and more lean is where you'll gain the most speed. The benefit of aero wheels is not nearly as great in group rides as they are in time trials, riding alone, or off the back.

I'm no roadie snob, but I guess the few who bring their deeper dish wheels to rides are clydes who continuously brag about their power output on the flats but aren't seen after the first climb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
spade2you said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're talking about weight limits, getting stronger and more lean is where you'll gain the most speed. The benefit of aero wheels is not nearly as great in group rides as they are in time trials, riding alone, or off the back.

I'm no roadie snob, but I guess the few who bring their deeper dish wheels to rides are clydes who continuously brag about their power output on the flats but aren't seen after the first climb.
I can get stronger but not leaner. I'm 6' 9", 202lbs and can hang with the cat 2 racers. 0.2kg savings out of 100kg total weight doesn't mean much to me. Aerodynamics is more important. To be frank, I can take a big dump before a ride and "save" 500 to 700grams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did some looking at "custom" options and checked out wheelbuilder.com I see some nice full carbon Edge wheels that I can get laced up with 28 spokes. Fast, light, strong, and aero. They are lighter than Zippp 404's, D-A's, and Carbone's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
wesmon said:
I can get stronger but not leaner. I'm 6' 9", 202lbs and can hang with the cat 2 racers. 0.2kg savings out of 100kg total weight doesn't mean much to me. Aerodynamics is more important. To be frank, I can take a big dump before a ride and "save" 500 to 700grams.
If you're already keeping up with the Cat 2 racers, I almost seen no real reason to get aero wheels unless you plan on racing with them. Truly, inside the pack you don't notice as much difference between stock rims and aero rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Go the Mavics - this is the one Mavic wheel I would buy and the one DA wheel I wouldn't.
The Mavic is 100g actual lighter than the DA and stiffer. This DA wheel regularly gets reviewed as being unusually soft/flexy for a Shimano wheel - even compared to the 24CL.
The Carbone is a very reliable workhorse which in this SLR iteration happens to be actually lighter than more fancied race wheels such as the Zipp 404's and the DA 50

I must admit that after seeing the all-black 2011 version of the Mavic SLR (see link) with treated brake track I am already saving - remove the stickers and you will have a fantastic looking wheel which will be hard to distinguish from the Mavic Ultimate and Lightweight wheels with durability and aluminium brake track that can be used everyday.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/07/08...of-cosmic-rsys-and-ksyrium-road-wheel-lineup/
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top