Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen quite a few pictures of peoples road bike w/ cards of some sort in the rear spokes. Also seen a few pics of spokes wrapped w/ some sort of tape where the spokes cross; but the pics are almost always of single speed bikes.

Is this just a fad, or does it really prevent some type of spoke wear when a rim's out of round etc?...

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Fad. The cards are often (theoretically) related to "alley cat" races that all of the COOL CATS on the block do...

The tape -- depends, could be decorative, maybe you're describing "tied and soldered" (an old-school way that may or may not strengthen wheels, depending upon who you ask), or it could be a cheapie way to stop creaks.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Well, Ligero sent me cards with the wheels he built for me, and I wondered what they were for. Now I know. I'll pull the clothespins off my nipples and put the cards on my spokes. Thanks.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,892 Posts
Bicycle cards

Make sure you use Bicycle Cards because they are plastic coated. They'll last longer and sound the fastest! Baseball cards aren't so good. I used this old Honus Wagner card I had lying around and it only lasted a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
225 Posts
JaeP said:
Make sure you use Bicycle Cards because they are plastic coated. They'll last longer and sound the fastest! Baseball cards aren't so good. I used this old Honus Wagner card I had lying around and it only lasted a couple of seconds.
That card is in awful condition. If you'd like, mail it to me and I'd be happy to make sure it ends up in the proper place.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.