Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carl Strong All-Rounder... or what a Bridgestone XO-1 would look like built in 2010. This is my attempt at a "one-bike" to do it all. Carl already had good fit information for me and was willing to let me design my dream bike with some unique perspective from the world of BOB (Bridgestone Owners Bunch for those of you who haven't drunk the Kool-Aid).

Road geometry, light steel, disc brakes to allow multiple wheel sizes (26"/650B/700c), gobs of tire clearance, fender and rack mounts, S&S couplers, everything I wanted wrapped up in a single bike... One bike to rule them all.

Carl delivered. This thing is going to be FUN!

Get ready for a whole new set of dirtroad ride reports...:thumbsup:

singlecross

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
That is totally cool. 1 suggestion and 1 question. First the suggestion: Those stock avid roundagon rotors pretty much suck. I used them for a long time on my mountain bike, but switching to hayes rotors, which are also cheap, made a huge difference. They stay true way better and don't seem to fade as much.

The question is more general: how was Strong to work with? I really like his dirt road bikes that I've seen in person and on this forum.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Pretty bike. :thumbsup:

Too many gears. :yikes:

Looking forward to some fine ride reports! :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I favorited your bike.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
m_s said:
Those stock avid roundagon rotors pretty much suck.

The question is more general: how was Strong to work with? I really like his dirt road bikes that I've seen in person and on this forum.
I agree with the critique of the Roundagons.

I replaced mine with Avid G3. I chose them because I wanted stainless, and my front hub was Shimano CenterLock and the rear hub is ISO six-bolt. The G3s come either way, so I could have matching rotors, but with different mounts

You can get an idea of what Carl's like here: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f22/strong-frames-15047.html

To the OP: Thanks for this. I like an all-rounder for my commuting rig. It's nice to see some of Carl's work in this area. When I have mine built, it will vary in some details, (and will be Ti so I don't have to worry about paint scrapes in the bike racks around the city) but the fundamentals will be very similar to yours.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
m_s said:
This is my second bike frame from Carl. I have no hesitation recommending him as a builder... both of my experiences have been great. This man knows how to build what you want. For TIG... go Carl!

singlecross

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MB1 said:
Pretty bike. :thumbsup:

Too many gears. :yikes:

Looking forward to some fine ride reports! :yesnod:
The 24 tooth chainring is for when the road ends... straight into the forest I'll go!:D

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
disc and dt shifters... now there's a combo you don't see every day

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FatTireFred said:
disc and dt shifters... now there's a combo you don't see every day
Just wait until I get the 650B wheelset built... Disc, Downtube shifters, and 650B wheels. Add in a Dynohub and I'll be able to confuse and/or alienate everybody. Just like Grant P.
:p

singlecross

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
That bike is hawt. I almost like it as much as my bike.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Very nice. And it'll stand out in the crowd like a true beauty should!

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
nice. can i borrow it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts