Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Carlos Sastre signs for Geox

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  RRRoubaix 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#8 ·
#9 ·
MG537 said:
I don't know about the grand tours, but a healthy Cervelo Test Team can actually compete in the 1 day classics. They really should be able to build a powerhouse team around Haussler.
I really enjoy watching Cervelo TT. They really animate races and race smart. On the team web site they have those videos posted up of their performances in MSR, PR, the Giro and the Tour, really good stuff. Van Poppel (the DS (sp?)) is constantly telling the riders in the bus before the start to "make the race as hard as possible" for the other teams. Sounds pretty basic but it's amazing how many other teams don't do that.

So now CTT is in the market for a good GC guy. Cadel would be perfect for a team like that and with domestiques like that -- not the team Cadel has at BMC.

#11 ·
fornaca68 said:
I really enjoy watching Cervelo TT. They really animate races and race smart. On the team web site they have those videos posted up of their performances in MSR, PR, the Giro and the Tour, really good stuff. Van Poppel (the DS (sp?)) is constantly telling the riders in the bus before the start to "make the race as hard as possible" for the other teams. Sounds pretty basic but it's amazing how many other teams don't do that.

So now CTT is in the market for a good GC guy. Cadel would be perfect for a team like that and with domestiques like that -- not the team Cadel has at BMC.

I know that it would never happen, but I would love to see the Schlecks on CTT...

#12 ·
Interesting that according to CTT they were not even offering Sastre a contract for 2011. They obviously feel his is past his prime. I am not sure of that, he will never win another GT but I still believe he has the ability to win a mountain stage or two and finish top-10 GC in any GT he starts. His 2010 season was injury-marred, just as CTT on the whole with Hushovd and Haussler falling victim to injuries as well. For both Sastre and CTT on the whole the 2010 season has been a letdown from 2009. But it is not THAT long ago that Sastre won two Giro stages and finished in 3rd place GC in Rome for CTT.

In a way, Sastre will always be unfairly judged by not following up his 2008 Tour win with another major success. 2008 was the perfect storm for Sastre: Contador was not riding the Tour. He was with CSC and they were super-strong that year, no other team with a GC contender was even close to as strong as CSC/Saxo in 2008. He had Frank Schleck in yellow to play the muse while he raced up the road. His main competition came from a guy who is likely never going to have the team, luck, and head to win a GT - Cadel Evans.

Anyway, lots of people are writing Sastre off but I still think he can pull some results in 2011.

#13 ·
spade2you said:
I see what you did there. :p
Cervelo co-founder Gerard Vroomen has confirmed to Cyclingnews that the Cervelo TestTeam never in fact offered Carlos Sastre a contract for the coming season. The 35-year-old signed a two-year deal with Cervelo in 2009 and with no offer forthcoming and his deal about to expire, announced that he had signed a deal with Team Geox for 2011.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vroomen-praises-sastres-contribution-to-cervelo

#14 ·
Well he may not be able to win anything big like he has in the past, and who knows, he may be on his way out. But what he will bring to Geox is experience. Look at this last tour, it was the first Tour De France for ALL of the riders. How nerve racking has that got to be going into the TDF and having no one that has been there before to be the team caption. He may not bring the results but if he can be a mentor and help the new riders develop it may be a win for the Geox team. It's kinda like what Hincapie/Evans did for BMC.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.