Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
kenyonCycleist said:
have u looked into how much that baloney costs? if u wanna train and race better get a book and ask around and learn from the dudes on this site.
sounds like someone who has not used CTS to me. i personally am on my 3rd year and i will continue using them as long as im racing. the training programs are very effective for me, but i will say they may not work for everyone. i personally like it because it keeps me disciplined. i just do what they tell me and in the end i know i wil be where i want to be. it does take discipline though, if your not ready to follow it exactly and control your ego when your on group rides then forget it. now, you can set up workouts and a training program on your own that also work just as well, but for me that just takes to much time and i dont follow it. money is the last issue, if 50 bucks a month is alot of money to you it may not be worth it but i guarantee if you do the program and stick to it you will get results.

·
Administrator
13,100 Posts
Alot of the guys on my club team are doing it. In fact, someone I rode with was doing it last year and I saw him improve quite a bit.

CTS has several ways to get a free month's coaching. I got the offer by purchasing his new book (which I like alot- Friel wasn't for me). When you get your USCF license there is a perk of a free month as well. I was still a bit skeptical, but hey free coaching!

So in January I signed up. Turns out I like it. The schedule works for me, I have a good coach, and the fact that the training cyclings are all planned out and ready to go has helped me out quite a bit- as has the knowledge that if I stick with the training program good things will happen for me, and bad things for other people.

Buying a book and talking to people wasn't really advancing the ball for me, self-training can only get you so far IMHO, after that, if you want to progress either in formal racing or just killing people in the group rides, you need some help. While I liked CTS because I read the book first and found that Carmichael's approach and outlook matched my own observations and goals, a local coach would be a good option as well.

Right now, I look at it as my secret advantage. I have a feeling a few people are in for a very big surprise a few months. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
coaches are like diets

If you can stand to lose weight, then use any reasonable diet and you will lose weight . If you can benefit from organized training, then any reasonable coach will do. Riders that just ride and have no schedule will benefit from any coach. In the lower ranks of riders, any coach will do. As you move up the scale of fitness and abilities, you'll have to look around for a coach that give you just that little bit more of improvement. Granted, I just made a generalization, but most of us aren't that special so the 80/20 rules applies.

·
Bike Addict
268 Posts
I used CTS for 2 years

and it made a HUGE differance in my riding. Let me start by saying that I'm not the type of person who is going to put together and follow a structured taining program from a book. I really liked having someone do that for me and adjust it as time goes on. Another great thing about CTS is the online software. It makes a big differance to be accountable every day! Are there better coaching systems??? having a coach makes a big differance!

·
Administrator
13,100 Posts
kenyonCycleist said:
im gettin interested in this cts thingy, although its kinda funny he as patents/copyrights on the names of his exercises
Lowly 5 here, as I was never interested in racing before- only fast centuries and non-sanctioned fast rides ect. Most of the Guys in my club doing the CTS deal are 4's and 3's, with a couple of 5's like me.

Carmichael mostly trademarks stuff- which is not uncommon. So the phrase's for each type of workout period and interval session are trademarked- but not the actual session details. Further, all of Carmichael's writings and illustrations are copyrighted. But then again, Copyright attaches when you fix the expression on a tangible medium (ie written down)- but this happens automatically by operation of law. Filing the Copyrights with the Copyright Office just gets you better damages and a few other perks.

Patents protect ideas (basically), but that idea must novel and there must not be any prior art. That would probably not be the case for a great many details of the CTS training program. Additionally, patents are quite expensive to get when all is said and done. Given that, it is unlikely that CTS holds many patents at all, although they are likely to hold a lot of trademarks- which is prudent to hold off people wanting to make cheap knock-offs of his service.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ahuh

kenyonCycleist said:
have u looked into how much that baloney costs? if u wanna train and race better get a book and ask around and learn from the dudes on this site.
A little different perspective here. I have put together numerous training programs on my own. I have read most every book on cycling and training. In the end, the expertise of CTS pays off. The ability to work with, in my case, someone who is a pro, is just awesome. The advise is great. Also, in the past I had trouble with some overtraining, and having a third party to stand back and say, "back off", really helps. A local coach is great too, but there is no one near enough to me to be any different than cts. A third party, with your best interest in mind, is invaluable in the heat of racing and the depths of winter training.

Jared

·
Bike Addict
268 Posts
I only race teh MTB

When I started with CTS I was doing my first race Sport class. I'm moving up to expert class now. I don't know much about road racing but someone told me Expert class mtb is like cat 3 in road racing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.