Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for my next set of panniers. Unlike the last ones, which I just sold, what I really need is a big main bag on each side (not lots of pockets). Preferably 40 liters or larger. I noticed that both Arkel and Ortlieb use coated/waterproofed Cordura nylon, but I'm not sold on the idea of total UNbreathability.

Then I noticed that Carradice makes some handsome, somewhat old timey panniers, with coated cotton duck fabric. They say it's still water resistant, but perhaps it will breathe a little or at least allow some air in through the top if it's not fastened tight? Any experience with their Super-C mounting system? Is it similar to the basic Ortlieb with locking clutches on top and an arm on the bottom? I'm paranoid about mounting, since we occasionally tour unpaved where there's a lot of rattling around.

Any great experiences with these panniers? Any failures? I searched the forum but only found discussions about their seat bags, which I am NOT interested in...

· gazing from the shadows
27,388 Posts
I have a pair of the front panniers mounted on a rear rack on my commute bike. I like them.

They seem to hold up well, and you can really overstuff them if you want to. No problems, but I don't exactly use them HARD, they are rarely loaded down completely. They go on and off with ease. I have not had water soak through them, but I have not had them rained on for days at a time either. The material is thick, and any damage tends to stop itself instead of unravelling endlessly.

Let's see, it's been about 12 years now. So I give the brand, if not the specific product, a thumbs up.

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
soup cans?

dr hoo said:
...The material is thick, and any damage tends to stop itself instead of unravelling endlessly...
hmmm... how do you think they'd hold up if you went shopping and filled them with soup cans? my impression is that cotton duck fabric might not stand up so well to heavy objects with hard edges. don't get me wrong - i'd really like to try the panniers because i find them appealing. but i do have a tendency to overpack, and stop for groceries, and ride dirt roads that subject baggage to a lot of bumps and jolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.