Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka Zoo
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of you may recall the installatino issues I was having when I first bought my Tufo Tubular Clincher tires, thanks to your help I'm not able to install and take off a tubular clincher tire in just a few minutes. So far I love them, they ride very smooth and grip the corners like nothing.

Now I have another question, I'm assuming that a Tubular Clincher tire can be folded up as small as a Tubular tire, I've seen many teammates with tubulars folded up in their back pockets but my looks huge in comparision when folded up.
1. Does anyone have suggestions on folding it up any smaller so I can actually fit it in my rear pockets and not have a ton of tire showing out of the pocket? For now I've just thrown the extra tire in my seat tube bottle cage but I don't think I have to say how dorky this looks and I'd actually like to eventually use it for a water bottle again :p
2.Do you guys always take a spare tire with you or does the sealant usually do the job?

Thanks once again,
Dave

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Always take a spare. Have you made sure that you've squeezed all the air from the tire? You could cinch it together with string or a strong rubber band.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You can also use a toe-strap and mount it under the saddle like we did when we most of us trained on tubbies many moons ago. I would definately not just take the sealant. It'll work 80% of the time, but you're s.o.l that other 20%.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,413 Posts
A Tubie-clincher will never fold as flat as a "true" tubie. That said, you might try to put your folded up tubie-clincher into a waterbottle that has the top cut off. If you put it in the seat tube holder, and it hits your legs, put in the downtube holder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts