Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I searched the forum for details on carrying coffee before I posted this, and what I found was not completely helpful (bicyclecoffeesystems.com is old and links are out of date).

I would like to know how folks carry coffee, if they do. I had a vaccuum insulated carafe from Starbucks, but it got icky inside for some reason and the coffee started to taste funky. I couldn't really get in there and clean it - even my Camelback brushes couldn't get at the sharp corners at the bottom. So I trashed it. I had another one I got as a gift, but it was a cheap POS, and fell apart after one ride. Currently, I'm using the SOHO mug, the gimmick mug sold by Trek with its overpriced urban bike of the same name. It is okay, but it's not vaccuum sealed, so on cold mornings, the coffee is cold by the time I get to work, and I don't like re-heated coffee (wah-wah!) and it's slide lever opening tends to collect coffee over bumps so when I open it, the built up pressure causes the coffee to geyser all over my arm.

So, does anyone have recommendations for a coffee carafe that:
1. Is vaccuum sealed to keep the coffee hot! I don't intend to drink from it on the ride.
2. Fits in a standard waterbottle cage.
3. Is stainless or glass lined (I think the Starbucks one was coated with nonstick stuff that started flaking off) for easy cleaning and no flaking of nastiness.
4. Doesn't break the bank. It doesn't seem logical to spend $50 in order to save $1.79 on a cup o' Joe from the cafeteria in the a.m.
5. Has a reasonable likelihood of surviving more than one year (see #4).

Thanks all.
Regina

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Thermos Briefcase

I posted this in one of the older coffee threads. Thermos brand stainless steel briefcase bottle. Keeps coffee hot for hours and fits perfectly in a bottle cage. I think I found it at T.J. Maxx for less than $20.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

There are a few EMS stores nearby, and certainly a TJ Maxx, so I guess I will continue my hunt. Thanks.
R

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
no bag?

if you have to attach it to your bike, I like the soma thing. overpriced but cool. personally, Id fill a thermos and put it in my messenger bag if I wanted to transport coffee between two locations. ataching it to the bike just complicates things unneccessarily if you don't intend to consume it between A and B.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thermos Backpack model

Bigger than the Soma at 16 oz. and will literally burn your tongue hours later. My soy lattes
are still quite drinkable 4-5 hrs. after filling, as long as you preheat before loading. And if your careful you can drink on the fly as the lid pops up revealing a small resevoir with just the right size hole to feed it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4425450475
As to carrying, it before I got the Topeak adjustable bottle cage I just looped a few tough rubber bands around the front and top of a standard cage to hold it in place. A loose fit, but it always held tightly.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I've got one like this from Starbucks and I really like it. I carry it in my chrome bag and it fits perfectly in the little water bottle holders on the sides on my Metropolis. I've never had it still at all. The top screws on tight, and there is a rubber washer there to keep it all in. There is a little flip top that jams in pretty well.

Haven't had a problem with is so far. Just don't put soda in it. Or if you do, keep your face away from the opening when you open it up ;)

joe

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used to carry a cheapo thermos in my messenger bag. It was nice, because I could throw back a half cup after I filled the thermos before I hit the commute.

More recently, I've purchased a small french press, grinder, and hot pot for my office. Brews in just a few minutes while I'm cooling down and changing anyways.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Get this and make your coffee at work.

You would also need to buy a electric water kettle if you don't have a way to heat water at work

·
Anti-bling
274 Posts
Regina said:
Hi all.

I searched the forum for details on carrying coffee before I posted this, and what I found was not completely helpful (bicyclecoffeesystems.com is old and links are out of date).

I would like to know how folks carry coffee, if they do. I had a vaccuum insulated carafe from Starbucks, but it got icky inside for some reason and the coffee started to taste funky. I couldn't really get in there and clean it - even my Camelback brushes couldn't get at the sharp corners at the bottom. So I trashed it. I had another one I got as a gift, but it was a cheap POS, and fell apart after one ride. Currently, I'm using the SOHO mug, the gimmick mug sold by Trek with its overpriced urban bike of the same name. It is okay, but it's not vaccuum sealed, so on cold mornings, the coffee is cold by the time I get to work, and I don't like re-heated coffee (wah-wah!) and it's slide lever opening tends to collect coffee over bumps so when I open it, the built up pressure causes the coffee to geyser all over my arm.

So, does anyone have recommendations for a coffee carafe that:
1. Is vaccuum sealed to keep the coffee hot! I don't intend to drink from it on the ride.
2. Fits in a standard waterbottle cage.
3. Is stainless or glass lined (I think the Starbucks one was coated with nonstick stuff that started flaking off) for easy cleaning and no flaking of nastiness.
4. Doesn't break the bank. It doesn't seem logical to spend $50 in order to save $1.79 on a cup o' Joe from the cafeteria in the a.m.
5. Has a reasonable likelihood of surviving more than one year (see #4).

Thanks all.
Regina

Maybe you need one of these instead. Guaranteed to keep you warm

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Ted

..but it's not the "warm" I need....the first big hill does that just fine! : )
It's the "wake up" that I need. The jazzed feeling I get from riding my bike in wears off by about 9:00 a.m., and need my Joe to get me hoppin'
Regina

1 - 15 of 15 Posts