Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing the triple bypass in colorado this week, and the forecast is looking potentially wet.

wondering what your thoughts are on carrying gear on a big ride such as this (120 miles, 3 mountain passes) with big weather changes.

i would like to avoid wearing anything on my back, but the jersey pockets seem a little slim for rain gear, booties, warmers, etc

thoughts?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
At a minimum, I'd think you'd want to carry whatever kind of raincape or jacket you wear. If you get soaked and then have to face a cold descent you'd be in trouble. Booties seems overkill, but thin water-resistant shoe covers might make sense, if you have them. Legwarmers? Depends on the temperatures you're likely to face. Armwarmers seem redundant if you have the jacket.

That should all fit in jersey pockets, or inside (or strapped on the outside of) a seatbag.

The jacket is essential, IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, the temps are the concern, which is based on the fact that when the rain came 2 years ago on this ride (triple bypass by the way) only 15% of riders finished, and half of those were treated for hypothermia. the ones who made it safely were prepared, so i was hoping to over pack and be prepared for the worst. seat bag could work for some things in addition to the jersey, maybe a small belt pack?

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Get a big saddlebag- like a caradice barley, if you can find one. A rivendell banana bag will hold a ton...

·
Registered
990 Posts
thermoregulation

agree on the leg and arm warmers. they go on and off quickly (probably want them off during the climbs), do keep you warm on descents, and take up little space in a pocket. lightweight jacket for sure. toe covers if it's really wet and you're on the bike for a long time. you'll still have a bit of room left over for food.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Tie it on

hippie_rn said:
wondering what your thoughts are on carrying gear on a big ride such as this (120 miles, 3 mountain passes) with big weather changes. i would like to avoid wearing anything on my back, but the jersey pockets seem a little slim for rain gear, booties, warmers, etc thoughts?
Just get a bungie cord and roll your stuff inside the jacket and tie it all under your seat. You can carry a lot of stuff that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.