Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night it finally happened, a motorist hit me.

I was stopped at an intersection, a motorist turning into a street took the turn way to shallow and came into my lane, and took me out head on.

I was on my cx bike thank god, the alumina frame faired well but the carbon fork i think is cracked. Dropping it off at the shop this weekend.

My bike has the alex atd470s wheelset.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
As long as you're OK and the motorist has insurance all is not lost. New Bike Time.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
Yikes! As I always say, you can get a new bike. You can't get a new body.

Did the driver stop? Did you get a police report?

·
Banned
748 Posts
Glad you OK Pittcanna!!! I would start the discussion with the insurance company with new bike and extras pricing. Best Regards

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Getting hit by a car can be very profitable if you are evil like me.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I'd focus on medical issues first...

if you have injuries of any kind, that produces significant leverage for settling the property damages. at a minimum, I'd see a physician for an overall evaluation.

ins companies don't want to be on the hook for potentially long-term medical problems and will want you to sign off on that asap.

get your property damages settled to your satisfaction and THEN sign the medical release.

and generally, the larger the medical costs, the more you can claim for pain / suffering.

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
tlg is right...a lot hard to be hit by a car while Zwifting....but now you have to watch out for pedestrians (well, joggers, at least ;) )

Glad you're sounding okay, Pittcanna, but do get checked out to be sure, m'kay? :D

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
See your PCP as soon as possible for a full checkup. You might want to see them again in a few weeks, because sometimes injuries take a while to manifest. Save every receipt for your medical bills and property damage. Record every phone call with the insurance companies, but since you're in PA you have to notify them you're recording first. At the first sign of trouble with the motorist's insurance company not playing fair, get a free consultation with a personal injury attorney. If you don't know where to look, contact the PA state bar association for a referral.

Did you have a camera?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hope you're okay, Pitt, but not so okay that you can't wring every penny out of the idiot driver and their insurance company.

And I too have noticed that American drivers become British at every left turn. I too was nearly hit like that once. Since then, I stop short of the limit line in case another f***tard wants to apex their turn in my lane (which happens regularly).

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Pain and suffering.....Pain and suffering........Since the accident, you've been afraid to sleep because a car might fall on your house............and you've been hearing "voices"........and you've been suffering "man problems"........

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
there's adequate compensation to be had without resorting to insurance fraud.

you really don't want to go there...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Get better pittcanna.

This is why I'm building a non-paved surface drop-bar bike. Drivers on paved roads are getting too reckless and careless to be trusted with my well being.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Yea, if you have to stop and can't see, stay behind the line. I guess the vehicle only hit your bike? Take care whichever.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
See your PCP as soon as possible for a full checkup. You might want to see them again in a few weeks, because sometimes injuries take a while to manifest. Save every receipt for your medical bills and property damage. Record every phone call with the insurance companies, but since you're in PA you have to notify them you're recording first. At the first sign of trouble with the motorist's insurance company not playing fair, get a free consultation with a personal injury attorney. If you don't know where to look, contact the PA state bar association for a referral.

Did you have a camera?
This is over the top.

Edit - I assume if Pitt had any sort of possibility of injuries, he would have mentioned it in his first post.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.