Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding again after 6 or 7 years and I am getting older. I don't remember so much cars attacking my lane, I mean crossing the unbroken line into the bike lane to get me.

I do not ride in the car lane where I am, as I use the cycleway on the side of the road which is clearly marked. I am thinking of getting a usb helmet cam and posting them on my face-book locally.

Like today 5 incidents (25klm ride) of cars crossing in front of me over the unbroken line, one lady was changing lanes ahead where the road widened, and moved left into me crossing the unbroken line atleast 200 metres before her lane widened??

Is this how it is these days and I usually hang a finger at offenders, at-least those following them see my displeasure at their antics..I am over 55 and ride for fitness and rehab.. I am prone to road rage as well, so if I catch them at stop lights or shops, I am concerned I will get into trouble when I front them!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
People are idiots. Not much we can do except try not to get killed, maybe "politely" inform them of their transgressions.

Think of the dozens of cars that don't do that, though, and you may feel a tad better.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
RicG777 said:
I don't remember so much cars attacking my lane, I mean crossing the unbroken line into the bike lane to get me.
These people don't know you exist. They either never noticed you, or did notice you but erased that notice from their memory immediately. Point being, no one is out to get you. Unless there's contact with a car or with the ground because of a driver's idiocy, just shrug your shoulders and keep on riding.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nice to see at 55 you can still flip em the bird :) When your the softest target on the road you have to keep your eyes peeled for anything....Including idiots!

Do what Wim says..its good advise as you dont want to make riding stress full nor take it home with you. Lost count how many close ones I have had the past and cant remember even the last 3...point being I dont care enough about the minor stuff anymore as nothing comes to a surprise anymore.

Stu

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Cagers don't care.. they'll run ya off the road without even noticing. Their text messages and song collection is more important.

These people deserve dented quarter panels though. I've thumped a few trucks but never damaged them.. Someday I'm sure someone will get too close to me and I'll dent them up real good.... if they don't run me over.

All you can do is hold you line and move when needed. Be proactive.

·
Registered
614 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Cagers don't care.. they'll run ya off the road without even noticing. Their text messages and song collection is more important.

These people deserve dented quarter panels though. I've thumped a few trucks but never damaged them.. Someday I'm sure someone will get too close to me and I'll dent them up real good.... if they don't run me over.

All you can do is hold you line and move when needed. Be proactive.

Hyundai excel dent up real nice lol

·
Registered
559 Posts
They used to make these magnetic anti-tank mines you could stick on the sides of vehicles, but as cars get cheaper, there may not be enought iron in them for this to work anymore.

I suggest a portable EMP device.

·
Administrator
12,956 Posts
Drivers are getting worse the more capable cell phones get. :(

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Coolhand said:
So true, I think that it's the folks not paying attention that will cause most of the harm:
cell phones, putting make-up on, dealing with the kids in the back seat, reading, watching TV, ....just drive the car and realize the responsibility you have to others on the road.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have been fortunate while riding my bicycle over the years that I haven't had too many intentional incursions from cars/trucks. On my motorcycle, it's another story altogether, and I have had a number of confrontations while riding my bike. My size 9.5 combat boots have left an imprint on a number of 1/4 panels and doors. One driver nearly took a swim off the Coronado Bridge but decide to get back in his car and STFU when I agreed to the fight he had offered.

I do like the EMP device idea, particularly if it really hoses up cell phones being used. It would be even better if it would transmit a message before frying the chips: "This phone is being destroyed due to its owner's stupidity and lack of consideration for others. Have a nice day" zaaaaaaapppppp, silence except for road sounds.

Where can I sign up for such a device?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Opus51569 said:
I like the USB camera/Facebook idea.
Especially if the cars are traveling in a dedicated bike lane and you can get a shot of the license plate. Present the shots to your local prosecutor. Probably won't do much good, but at least you would've tried.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Coolhand said:
Times money these days and getting to work 5 seconds quicker makes the world go round.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You know, that magnet suggestion is not a bad one. Come up with little magnetic stickers in the shape of a bicycle with the slogan, "Warning: This Car Tried to Kill A Cyclist"

Put it on the car at the next light.

·
Registered
614 Posts
RagbraiNewB said:
You know, that magnet suggestion is not a bad one. Come up with little magnetic stickers in the shape of a bicycle with the slogan, "Warning: This Car Tried to Kill A Cyclist"

Put it on the car at the next light.
You would run out of stickers in the first week.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Instead of a magnet, make the sticker with a serious adhesive glue, the kind that bonds with paint and metal so well that it will not come off without some serious effort like sandblasting!

It would be cheaper that way, and more satisfying too!

·
Registered
614 Posts
WaynefromOrlando said:
Instead of a magnet, make the sticker with a serious adhesive glue, the kind that bonds with paint and metal so well that it will not come off without some serious effort like sandblasting!

It would be cheaper that way, and more satisfying too!
And when driver A's paint job on their car is scared by super bond, what happens next? Im guessing road rage just got lifted a hole bunch.

·
Registered
935 Posts
People are morons and cops are lazy...
I use my cell phone to take a photo of the act...I've been asked why I'm taking a photo and I tell them I now have evidence of their crime and will be phoning the State Troopers when I get home from my ride...that usually makes them quite contrite...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts