Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Air Force
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a centaur cassette perform and last as long as a chorus cassette? Also will the Performance chain by KMC work ok? Will the cassette wear faster with that chain over a campagnolo chain?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
yes, yes, no

SEK82089 said:
Will a centaur cassette perform and last as long as a chorus cassette? Also will the Performance chain by KMC work ok? Will the cassette wear faster with that chain over a campagnolo chain?
The Cenataur cassette should last just as long, the chain will work great. If you really want the most life from that cassette, buy 3-4 chains and alternate their use every 1500 miles, rather than using one chain until it's worn out before changing. You should easily get 3,000 miles from one of these chains and 4500 might be possible, if lubed and cleaned frequently. The cassette should last through all of those chains.

What casue chains skip is installing a new chain on worn cogs. If you alternate chains, that will never happen.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I always buy Centaur cassettes. The more expensive ones are just lighter and in some cases less durable. I also ride conversion cassettes on some shimaNo hubbed wheels so I use Wipperman Nickel chains. I have had excellent luck with them and they are reasonably priced. Look at Probikekit.com for cassettes and check for the free shipping offers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.