Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a set of 11 speed RS11's and I want to put a 9 spd cassette on. If I put that cassette on the wheel will I need to also have the wheel spokes adjusted to even it out and make it run correctly on my frame?

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
only if you change the o.l.d. will you need to redish the wheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ok,Yeah the LBS guy made it sound like I'd have to redish the wheels no matter what. Maybe go so far as to re-build my wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Just put on your 9s cassette with the 11s 1.85mm spacer and ride away ...... after you change the chain that is....

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Just put on your 9s cassette with the 11s 1.85mm spacer and ride away ...... after you change the chain that is....
This.

Why would you need to re-dish the wheel? The size of the freewheel does not change. They are 11-speed wheels which, as DC stated, can be used with an 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette as long as you place an adapter to fill the gap.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Ah ok,Yeah the LBS guy made it sound like I'd have to redish the wheels no matter what. Maybe go so far as to re-build my wheel.

For entertainment, go back to the LBS and have them explain to you how it is that if you don't change the length of the axle in the hub and/or change the spacers on the axle, how would it be that you would need to redish the wheel. You either misunderstood or your LBS got confused or they REALLY don't know what they're talking about.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,418 Posts
If your LBS guy REALLY said that, then he took you for a patsy and was trying to shake some $$ out of you..

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Or if he thought that a re-dish was truly needed he doesn't deserve to be fixing bikes.
This is most likely the case. Or you talked to one of the salespeople who has never fixed a bike, not one of the mechanics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah this is what I believed I could do and everything I looked up pointed to me being able to do this.

You either misunderstood or your LBS got confused or they REALLY don't know what they're talking about.
If your LBS guy REALLY said that, then he took you for a patsy and was trying to shake some $$ out of you..
Or if he thought that a re-dish was truly needed he doesn't deserve to be fixing bikes.
This is most likely the case. Or you talked to one of the salespeople who has never fixed a bike, not one of the mechanics.
IDK if hes a sales guy, mechanic or a little of both TBH. I explained it pretty clearly and its not the hardest bike concept to grasp So he may have just tried to up sell me since all I went in for was the 1.85 spacer. That or hes not that great of a mechanic. Either way it doesn't fill me with confidence in their ability's or honesty there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts