Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a new wheelset and keeping my old stock one as trainer wheels, and as spares during triathlons/not too competitive, competitions. my question is should I get a cassette as well, or is it easy enough to change that quickly from wheel to wheel. I won't be racing at a super high level, so if its pretty easy to change the cassette to the spare wheel, I can get a little better wheelset with the money I'd save on a second cassette. By the way, I'm leaning toward getting the cassette (105 group, identical to the one on my stock wheel)

Thanks

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
Back and forth

kmunny19 said:
I am looking into getting a new wheelset and keeping my old stock one as trainer wheels, and as spares during triathlons/not too competitive, competitions. my question is should I get a cassette as well, or is it easy enough to change that quickly from wheel to wheel. I won't be racing at a super high level, so if its pretty easy to change the cassette to the spare wheel, I can get a little better wheelset with the money I'd save on a second cassette. By the way, I'm leaning toward getting the cassette (105 group, identical to the one on my stock wheel)
It is quite easy to swap a cassette - all you need is the lock ring tool, a chain whip, and a torque wrench is a good idea. Whether to get the second cassette would, IMO, depend on how often you plan on making this swap. If you're doing it every week, I would get the 2nd cassette. Once a month, probably not. Every time you make the swap you put another strain on the system, with the potential of bunging up the threads or damaging the lock ring. Given that the cassette is a wear item, you will need to buy another one eventualy, so your "I can save money by not getting the cassette" is false logic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get a Nasbar or Performance Forte cassette. They are cheaper than Shimano. Put the cheaper cassette on your spare wheel, and use it on trainer. It only takes a minute to change wheels. It will also let you test the quality and durability of these. IMO Sram is as good a quality as Shimano and still cheaper.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The swap is easy to do but I'd get another cassette if you're doing the swap frequently. You can probably find a nice used one on that auction site.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
It's easy to do. You just need a chain whip and a lock ring removing tool. The most important thing is not to mix up the order of the spacers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.