Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pandacised
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of picking up a 16-27 cassette for general riding in the hills. This will not be for any racing purposes. Does anybody have experience with this gearing. Do you miss the 12-15 cogs? Do you like the tighter spacing towards the smaller gears 21,22, 23, 25, 27? I know the ratio's are smaller, but I hate the big gaps on a 12-27, 21, 24, 27.
Just curious for opinions

·
Registered
443 Posts
I ride with a 14-25 for junior races and I think you'll miss the higher gears a lot. You can try it, but you'll have trouble going fast on flats and you won't be able to pedal downhill most of the time.

I'd either deal with the gaps on a 12-27 or look into a triple or compact crankset. You have plenty of options, and I don't think a 16-27 is a very good one.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I'd second that.

I'm a spinny kind of guy, and I like to just tuck it out and coast on long fast descents, so I ride with a 13-25 (9-speed) and don't miss the 11 and 12 at all, but I'd have a real problem on hilly rides with a 16 as my smallest cog. It would take a lot of the fun out of descents, because I couldn't really accelerate much on downhills. In a 52X16, at 120 rpm, you're only going a little over 30 mph. That's way too slow to spin out, IMO.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I ride with a 12-27 fairly often living at the base of the Blue Ridge mts. IMO - when the time comes that you need the 21-24-27, 1 tooth spacing is not a deal breaker and usually a welcome addition to the climb when they are needed......

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you run a 53 big ring up front you could survive with a 16 in back, but if you run a compact [50 big ring] then I'd say no. I run a 12-27 and don't mind the gaps, though mine is a 10 speed casssette. obviously 8 or 7 speed is going to give less choices. Try riding without using your smallest cogs for a day or two, that should give you an answer. Gearing is all about choices, it's as simple as that. The wider the ratio, the bigger the jumps. Only you can decide what works best for you. I'm a big guy, and I'll gladly sacrafice a few mid range gears to have my bigger cogs in the back. Lighter, more fit riders will gladly give up the big cogs for a tighter cluster. Without knowing the terrain you ride, your weight, fitness level, what bike you ride, and a bunch of other factors, no one but you can give you that answer.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
bad idea..

The normal 12-27 is what you need. Cassettes lacking the 12 or 13 are for juniors and include filler cogs like a 20T that produce small jumps that are worthless.

Campy has the best idea with a 13-29 for the mountains. I use a 50/34 with an 11-25.

·
Rodie Persona
469 Posts
My LBS ordered a 27 for me a year or so ago. I wanted a bailout gear. He removed my 16 and everything else was stock (originally 12/25). Unless you need a totally new cassette you could consider this option. The 27 seems about as big as I can go with my Ultegra dérailleur.

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Drop-out clearance?

I agree with those who have posted that you will miss the higher gears. In addition, a 16 in the smallest position my have clearance issues with your dropout. Definitely look at this issue carefully before you go that route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.