Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
A Shimano 10-speed will work on a shimano 10-speed just fine. The only thing you will have to be careful of is the derailleur cage needs to be a long cage to handle large rear cassettes. If you have a short cage rear derailleur you might have issues going larger than a 27 tooth cog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice.

Would you tell me how to identify rear derailleur is long or short?

Thank you

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Here is a long cage. It might also me marked with GS at the end of the part number on the back side somewhere:

Here is a short cage derailleur. I should say SS at the end of the part number on the back.

Visually you can see the difference between the two is the cage is much longer on the long cage. That allows for a longer chain for the larger cogs to be run and still control the slack in the cable. Shimano will give you a maximum cog size that can be run for each on their website.

·
fun2none
130 Posts
The SRAM Apex 11-32 cassette will also be compatible with Shimano drive train.

If your budget allows you are better off installing a new chain and a mountain bike derailleur that is designed for large (32+) cogs. It will give you an extra margin of reliability and safety.

If you get a new mountain bike derailleur, make sure it is a Shimano 9-speed. The new Shimano 10-speed mountain bike derailleurs are NOT compatible with their road shifters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts