Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a cheap wheel from Nashbar, along with a new Nashbar cassette. My plan is to switch to this cheap wheel when I use my trainer. After putting the new wheel on, the shifting was off. I messed with the barrel adjusters, but even then I couldn't get into the biggest cog. I then realized the Nashbar cassette was a 12-23, and the current cassette on my bike is 12-26. I probably could have gotten into the biggest cog by adjusting the limit screws, but I don't want to go through the hassle of this every time I use my trainer.

Is it normal to have shifting issues like this when you switch from a 12-26 to 12-23 cassette? I assume it is, but want to make sure before I order a new 12-23 cassette for my bike. Also, I'm pretty sure it's a non-issue, but the new rim is slightly wider than my current one (only slightly, by a couple millimeters). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
not cog size...

Cog size has nothing to do with your problem. Most likely there's a small difference in the cassette position. All you have to do is back out the limit screw, probably 1/4 turn or less. How tough is that? It's a fact of life when swapping wheels with different hubs and cassette.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In regards to the spacer suggestion, I should mention that it's a 9-speed set up. I know that you have to use a spacer on 10 speed cassettes with 9 speed hubs, but I hadn't heard of spacers used on nine speeds. Definitely worth a shot. (Crossing my fingers).

I know it's not that hard to adjust limit screws, I would just strongly prefer to swap wheels and go. I'm beginning to think this is impossible without identical rear wheels/hubs, so I guess I'll make sure I keep a screwdriver next to the trainer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.