Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1986 Torelli in great condition. It has all campy components, and I am looking to do some gear work on it. The current cassette is a 6 speed 13-21. Living in Colorado there are lots of hills, and the 21 is not big enough for me. The question is can I go to a 7 or higher speed cassette without changing other components, or do I just need to stay with the 6 speed and find different sprockets? Thanks for your help in advance

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Chances are high that it is not a cassette, but a freewheel on the back. Not so easy. You should be able to find 7 speed freewheels (you'll need a slightly narrower chain) with as big as a 24 (I may be mistaken, this goes waaay back) in the required thread.

I've also seen (this is fun) that you can friction shift a 10 speed rear cassette if you have the touch.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Spunout said:
Chances are high that it is not a cassette, but a freewheel on the back. Not so easy. You should be able to find 7 speed freewheels (you'll need a slightly narrower chain) with as big as a 24 (I may be mistaken, this goes waaay back) in the required thread.

I've also seen (this is fun) that you can friction shift a 10 speed rear cassette if you have the touch.

can't remember, but were 7-spd chains narrower than 6? the torelli is likely spaced 126, but also steel... so I guess he could squeeze a 130-spaced 10-spd wheel in there. but would also need new chain and perhaps ders (pulleys), and could be opening up more issues

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to stay as simple as possible. If it is just a change of the Freewheel (I think you are right spunout) and the chain, that is doable, but more than that I will just stay with the 6 speed

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Six and seven speed freewheels are the same width. The seven is just narrower. A seven speed chain is required. You may be able to find a freewheel with a 26 or a 28.
Seven speed freewheels are much easier to find than six speed.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Harris Cyclery sells 6- and 7-speed freewheels with a 34. don't know if your derailleur will handle the big plate, or wrap the extra chain, but it might be worth a try to get you a bailout gear.
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.