Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live there are some decent hills that I simply can't climb yet (still losing weight and gaining strength). I'm also planning to buy another wheelset, and for that I'll need another cassette. My Trek 2.1 has a 12-27 105 10-speed cassette (50/34 front) so it's geared pretty low already. I do at times use both the highest and lowest gears.

But the steeper hills are beckoning and I'm looking at 11-28 options. Shimano 105 does not have one, but Ultegra and up have 11-28s. Would I need a longer chain for just one more tooth in back? Is there anything about the 11-28 that I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been riding a month. So far the steepest continuous grade I've done is about 6% and I've done it by spinning. I think I need to get familiar with slowing down and standing on the pedals to get up steeper sections. There are a few 10% grades around here and I'd like to be able to ride them.

My aerobic capacity is not the issue, I think it's leg strength. My quads burn up easily although even in just one month I've become a lot more durable. It will take time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.